IGNORED

Ben Pearson Recurve question

Lunatic

I bought this thing for $20 and it looks like its in good shape. I never had a recurve and I have no intention hunting with it. I really bought it for decoration but maybe I would like to take a shot or two in my back yard.

Where do I get a string  and arrows for it and what kind do I need? This bow is a Collegian 713-60" and it has some other markings on it as you can see below.

I assume I would buy what I need for a 60" bow???? or do I need to determine my draw length and then somehow translate this number to string and arrow length?

Is this bow any good, could you hunt with it?

Thanks for the info.

165745948.AFbNDGuV.jpg

165745947.GMGCL6LB.jpg

165745949.jeVZYwHZ.jpg

165745950.LxH4tGgK.jpg

Looks fine to me, check to see if the bow's delaminating at all and that the tips aren't crooked looks to be in good enough shape though for continuous use, it won't blow up or anything like a self bow. If it checks out you could go online to a shop like 3 rivers archery or lancaster archery or just go down to your nearest archery shop, I think you'd need a 56" string since with recurve bows the string should be like 4" less then the bow's length or something like that. You don't need to be ultra technical with the thing like you do with compounds. For arrows you NEED feather fletched as vanes don't like trad. rests, off hand though vanes are fine. any way go with 28" feather fletched shafts, or 32". you could get them cut to your draw length but it's cheaper to keep em' at factory standard, and obviously correlate the spine of the arrows to the draw weight.. For mortals I'd recommend a arm brace and finger tabs to protect your fingers, if you want to shoot bare finger though that's fine as well it's just if they're not used to it it'll hurt after awhile. For myself shooting a 100# warbow bare finger is good training for them :). Anyway hope this isn't to long and hopefully this helped you out.

Edited by Sticks n' Stones2

Looks fine to me, check to see if the bow's delaminating at all and that the tips aren't crooked looks to be in good enough shape though for continuous use, it won't blow up or anything like a self bow. If it checks out you could go online to a shop like 3 rivers archery or lancaster archery or just go down to your nearest archery shop, I think you'd need a 56" string since with recurve bows the string should be like 4" less then the bow's length or something like that. You don't need to be ultra technical with the thing like you do with compounds. For arrows you NEED feather fletched as vanes don't like trad. rests, off hand though vanes are fine. any way go with 28" feather fletched shafts, or 32". you could get them cut to your draw length but it's cheaper to keep em' at factory standard, and obviously correlate the spine of the arrows to the draw weight.. For mortals I'd recommend a arm brace and finger tabs to protect your fingers, if you want to shoot bare finger though that's fine as well it's just if they're not used to it it'll hurt after awhile. For myself shooting a 100# warbow bare finger is good training for them :). Anyway hope this isn't to long and hopefully this helped you out.

yes that's very helpful, thank you

First thing I checked was signs of delamination or cracks and the bow is in perfect condition. Just looked at the tips and they are perfect as well

Thanks again