IGNORED

Kayak Noob Here

82ndAbnRVN

My son and I and two of his buddies float fished the Bouquet River down to the mouth of Lake Champlain a few weeks ago. Great trip, smallie action was incredible!

Got into kayak fishing a few years ago, great way to fish and spend time on the water. You can access many areas that are not accessible to boats.

Nice.   :up:  :up:

Capsizing and not being able to quickly reboard the kayak..There's things that can surely kill me in these waters, especially when I'm fishing in deep & turbulent waters.. I've  looked into several methods, flipping then wedging your paddle accross your upright kayak,  then using 2 float bags attached to the paddle , on the entry side,  as a stirrup does it for me..Suggestions appreciated :)

Edited by Lemmy

Capsizing and not being able to quickly reboard the kayak..There's things that can surely kill me in these waters, especially when I'm fishing in deep & turbulent waters.. I've  looked into several methods, flipping then wedging your paddle accross your upright kayak,  then using 2 float bags attached to the paddle , on the entry side,  as a stirrup does it for me..Suggestions appreciated :)

I have the same concerns - I'm not the man I used to be (maybe I never was?). I watched a few YouTube videos (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=overturned+kayak) on righting/re-entering a capsized kayak. It's also one of the reasons that I opted for the waist belt PFD  (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--ultra-slim-manual-inflatable-life-jacket-belt-pack-blue--15911308?recordNum=6) - might be better able to get back in the  boat if a full PFD wasn't in the way. Now I need to get on the water and practice ... 

Finally picked up a paddle (Caviness CavPro carbon fiber 230cm ) so I'm ready to get into the water.

Next up are the kayak intro, intermediate, and rescue classes given by Kayak East (thanks to MeatEater for the link!).

Trying to get started the right way ...

Awesome you're going to love it! I don't own one but have done it many times in the keys when I lived there. Catching a tarpon from one is awesome...never got out for sailfish on the yak but that time will come. First day on a vaca a few years back(my fiancés first time there) we arrived at the resort and immediately I said "ok, lets go!" I know the area well so within 5 minutes I found the mullet, found the dolphin(not mahi), tarpon and sharks. Id say it freaked her out a bit but she was still cool with it. On our way back the dolphin were following us and I didn't say anything. We beached the yak and I said turn around, someone wants to see you. Dolphin almost at our feet. She couldn't believe it. She wants one now too. I better get to work! lol

I was going to suggest an inflatable pfd and at the least, a waist belt one like you I saw you did end up getting. Smart move. If you go to Manasquan reservoir, you're going to have to wear it anyway. I could have sworn I heard of an incident or two down the shore last weekend where someone on a yak was hit by a boat? Anyone hear this? Im not trying to scare you 82, honestly, but just shows that there are situations that COULD happen and youre not able to grab the life jacket. Better safe than sorry. Its like a harness in the tree. Find the right one and you barely, if at all, notice it.

HAVE FUN!!

• 3 months later...

Just bought my first kayak - Jackson Coosa Yakattack.

Would like to hear from those with experience:

Recommended fishing life vest (any comments on the waist PFDs. .. do you trust them?)

Do you go out alone or with buddies?

What's good for a complete novice ... any easy in & out paddling spots to get me started?

Any mentors?

Thanks!

Have you caught any nice fish yet on your Coosa?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Have you caught any nice fish yet on your Coosa?

Unfortunately, no. Haven't made it to the water yet. Very unhappy about that.  Had some health issues (heart failure due to Agent Orange) that kept pretty much out of commission for everything. Missed my Texas dove hunt, Mississippi fishing ...

Just cleaned the kayak and put it away for the winter.

I'm really gonna try to live on the water next year ...

Thanks for asking!

Unfortunately, no. Haven't made it to the water yet. Very unhappy about that. Had some health issues (heart failure due to Agent Orange) that kept pretty much out of commission for everything. Missed my Texas dove hunt, Mississippi fishing ...

Thanks for asking!

Sorry to hear that. Hope your feeling better. If you ever want to head out to a lake or pond somewhere just send me a message. I go out with some friends weekly and your welcome anytime.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, no. Haven't made it to the water yet. Very unhappy about that.  Had some health issues (heart failure due to Agent Orange) that kept pretty much out of commission for everything. Missed my Texas dove hunt, Mississippi fishing ...

Thanks for asking!

There is an organization that is perfect for you ( Heroes On The Water) They are Nation Wide and NJ has a Chapter, During the annual Warrior event at Central Jersey Rifle Pistol Range last month. I served in The Salvation Army Canteen in support of the event. They are big supporters and display what they offer to Warriors with Fishing and Kayaking.   Hope you take advantage of this Good luck and Thankyou For your Service. Bill USN Veteran.

Get in Touch now for winter meetings and events.   Get registered  :up:

22339631_1595198450500369_8504892771040311611_o.jpg

24059262_1638812879472259_12821862365098801_n.jpg

HOW4-300x200.jpg

IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif