IGNORED

can't wait for August! caw caw!

mazzgolf

Just got these in the mail - Boondocker Flocker Crow Decoys

I bought two sets so I have six. These things look really awesome. Flocked bodies and you can put them in either a feeding or alert pose. Stakes for putting them in the ground but should be easy enough to hang some on tree limbs with a little wire or string. And nice thing is they stack together so they pack nicely. I read good reviews about them on some hunting forums and decided to buy some. I can't wait for August now!

Anyone else here hunt crows? The guy who produces these is a fellow hunter over in PA. He has a 10% off special through the end of the month for these decoys (code "Flocker10off"), and free shipping over $50, so you can get 6 decoys for $54 shipped to door, in case your interested.

crow-decoys.jpg

hell yeah buddy, im excited as hell for opening of crow....i made about 8 decoys out of black trash bags and wire coat hangers. I think they will do the trick 

That's what I used last year. But I'm not very good at DIY decoys - mine looked like.... well, they looked like black trash bags stuffed with newspaper on hangers.  :rofl:

Haven't in NJ, and there aren't many crows around my place in Huntingdon County Pennsylvania, I've shot a few while just walking around looking for sheds and stuff. But I go with friends around the Gettysburg area. It is a lot of fun. 

We have decoys from Cabelas and places, but using homemade would be cool. Harder to shoot than morning dove ....more wary and tricky fliers. But, fun.

I hate the hot weather .. still sweat in the net type camo on me. So, a cooler full of ice cold Coke's and Red Bull's. 

PGC encourages management around there because of crops. I hate them and kill them ... lol ... because they eat wildlife eggs, nestlings, and young.

Have fun.

Haven't in NJ, and there aren't many crows around my place in Huntingdon County Pennsylvania, I've shot a few while just walking around looking for sheds and stuff. But I go with friends around the Gettysburg area. It is a lot of fun. 

We have decoys from Cabelas and places, but using homemade would be cool. Harder to shoot than morning dove ....more wary and tricky fliers. But, fun.

I hate the hot weather .. still sweat in the net type camo on me. So, a cooler full of ice cold Coke's and Red Bull's. 

PGC encourages management around there because of crops. I hate them and kill them ... lol ... because they eat wildlife eggs, nestlings, and young.

Have fun.

Yeah, we don't have tons over here where I'm at either. Certainly don't see the flocks of hundreds. But with an e-caller blasting, I usually get can a small group or two to show up. And they *are*  tricky - hard to get them to fly down low. They seem to stay at the tree tops trying to figure out what's going on below. We'll see if the new decoys help.

And yeah, I forget who was telling me recently, but someone told me they saw a crow eating an egg - I suspect it got a hold of a duck egg. That was something I recently learned - they really do a lot of damage to waterfowl by eating their eggs.

It still amazes me that there needs to be season for these annoying birds.

I'm originally from southern Ontario they would fly continuously all day from August trough late February,

no limit so for practice we'd shoot all day 50 - 300 plus a week just depending on the amount of time we wanted

to spend shooting or if the weather was more conducive to going after waterfowl.

People really do eat crow?

Yup. I'm going to actually try it when I get one, just to see. I mean, how bad could it be? :) I know some eat carrion, but then, so do blue claw crabs or any bottom feeding fish, too. And who knows what pigs put in their mouths. And if you hunt over or near farm fields, I'll assume these are birds feeding mainly on crops and vegetation. Anyway, here's a sampling of some recipes if you are so inclined: CrowBusters.com Crow Recipes

When I was 17 I worked on a small farm .....when riding around on the golf cart with the 72 year old farmer , occasionally he would say " Mike  dont move " and he would pull out the shotgun and shoot the crows.....he would then have me tie up the dead crow in the field by his feet, to scare off any other crows......I really miss working on that farm.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

And if you hunt over or near farm fields, I'll assume these are birds feeding mainly on crops and vegetation.

They eat from my corn pile.  So do the turkeys.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Years ago I hunted crows as they were going too and coming from their roosts in Deptford. I remember I would have the best action when I just winged one or two, causing the rest of the flock to continually circle above them. Enjoy.  

... And yeah, I forget who was telling me recently, but someone told me they saw a crow eating an egg - I suspect it got a hold of a duck egg. That was something I recently learned - they really do a lot of damage to waterfowl by eating their eggs.

They sure do, and hatched ducklings, too. Very young rabbits. In Franklin County where they've been trying to establish a sustainable wild pheasant population that can be hunted, the crows do a lot of damage to nests and young. 

Crows are evil little bastards. Kill 'em! 

:up: