IGNORED

Vegetable gardens

Greybeard, what's with the pungee sticks, er, I mean re-bar?  Just to hold the planks together?

He said he put them there to keep the hose off the plants when pulling it in around

Had a lot of straight sticks from the mulberry tree.  That thing was growing 10-12' long shoots every year.  The planks are in 3 sections that slide together, so I can remove them to till.  Had lumber laying around to get rid of. 

I don't like to use insecticide, either.  I seen some organic stuff at the garden center that's suppose to be safe, but I haven't tried it.  Cut worms top a few of the bean shoots, and I stopped growing broccoli because of the green worms I was getting in the heads.  

My dirt started from a pile of goat mulch.  My son had brought home 2 kids, supposedly for a little while until he could find another home.  You know how that goes.  22 goats later they had to go, and I was left with a pile manure.  I grew pumpkins in it the first year, and spread it over the lawn to start the garden for the next year.

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_6798.JPG

I don't like to use insecticide, either.  I seen some organic stuff at the garden center that's suppose to be safe, but I haven't tried it.  Cut worms top a few of the bean shoots, and I stopped growing broccoli because of the green worms I was getting in the heads.  

My dirt started from a pile of goat mulch.  My son had brought home 2 kids, supposedly for a little while until he could find another home.  You know how that goes.  22 goats later they had to go, and I was left with a pile manure.  I grew pumpkins in it the first year, and spread it over the lawn to start the garden for the next year.

22 Goats :eek: .. Nice looking yard with the rolling hills

Home depot. I use it in front of the house in the fall to hold the leaves till the township can pick them up

Thanks.  Went to Lowes yesterday (same stuff) and got 50 foot x 4 foot and threw it up under the spotlights last night.  Only cost $25 and I think it should be durable enough to last at least 2 or 3 seasons.

22 goats later they had to go, and I was left with a pile manure.  I grew pumpkins in it the first year, and spread it over the lawn to start the garden for the next year.

I had goats growing up and we had a big compost pile way out back where we'd empty the stall's dirty straw.  MAN, that stuff is the best fertilizer imaginable!

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Those are some good looking gardens.   :up:  :up: 

Our garden was destroyed last year by the apocalyptic rodent infestation.  So unfortunately I couldn't motivate myself to plant it this year.  Besides, aren't you supposed to let a field lie fallow every 7 years?   :D

It was a RR bed when we bought the house.  Steep shale ledge drop-off.  I had the banks bulldozed in and terraced on one side.  When the kids were young I had a 24' above ground pool where the patio is in the pic, and built a 20'x24' deck where the steps are that you could walk straight out to the pool as if it was in ground.  I took the steps out this year.  Frost kept heaving them.  Build, grow, then take/ cut down, never ends.

I had goats growing up and we had a big compost pile way out back where we'd empty the stall's dirty straw.  MAN, that stuff is the best fertilizer imaginable!

You can say that again!   My soil is clay, so the garden is all compost from over the years that lays on top.  I have a compost pile of chicken clean-outs, clippings, and leaves, and till some that has composted into the garden every fall, but that goat pile was golden.

Nice looking gardens, lots of work. 

I used to do a sizable garden every year, this year I really cut it back, too much to keep up with for me this year. These pictures are from last year and pretty typical of what I usually do, although, in years before the fence, I would go all the way to the trees with stuff. I made it smaller and fenced it to be more manageable. 

From left to right; broccoli, a few types of kale, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumbers and pickles, roma, beefsteak, cherry and grape tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash, cubanelle, bell, long hots, jalapeno and pablano peppers, Italian, Japanese and purple egg plant, string beans, strawberries and a row of blue berries along the right side fence. The trash can contains about a 5 gallon bucket of chicken manure, to which I add water and make a manure tea for fertilizer. In the back part of the garden where it's not planted, I usually put in pumpkins, butternut and acorn squash but they get planted later. Behind the fence, in the field, there are newly planted white and yellow peaches, bing and black tartarian cherries, granny smith, honey crisp, red rome, golden delicious and fuji apple trees, but they have a few years to go before I get anything from them. 

20150622_133823_zpsnxclfzdq.jpg

20150622_134309_zpsbrdde7tk.jpg

20150622_134107_zpsznwzwspv.jpg

During peak picking time, I get about this much every 2 or 3 days. Those tomatoes are early, they come on heavy a few weeks after this time, and I get about a 5 gallon bucket of string beans every 3 or 4 days, for a few weeks.

DSC00591_zpsyeyrz1ou.jpg

And I do blueberries and raspberries in the yard, as part of the landscape, as well as herbs. 

DSC00329_zpsl2o8ibpa.jpg

DSC00317_zpsepmrieq9.jpg

I have sage, parsley, mint, cilantro, basil, mexican, greek and italian orgeano, rosemary and thyme in pots and beds around the back patio.

DSC00343_zpsb6hdmpog.jpg

DSC00897_zps7klka9nm.jpg

DSC00895_zpszluomaaf.jpg

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Those are some good looking gardens.   :up:  :up:

Our garden was destroyed last year by the apocalyptic rodent infestation.  So unfortunately I couldn't motivate myself to plant it this year.  Besides, aren't you supposed to let a field lie fallow every 7 years?   :D

Can't believe you don't have one this year :shakehead: .  Must be to busy stacking fire wood in perfect stacks :hail:  

Edited by Buck154