IGNORED

Vegetable gardens

Nice garden, 154!  Plants are looking good. :up:  :up:

Mine took off when we had the 90 degree days.  It didn't do much in the wet, and cold weather we had before that.  I didn't plant too much lettuce, but we can't use it fast enough with the way it's growing now.  2nd planting was half as much, and it's coming up.

IMG_6200c.JPG

It was too wet for the tomatoes for a while, but now the early girls have tomatoes on them.  The rest are growing fast.  I pinch off the shoots, and just keep the main stem.

IMG_6201c.JPG

IMG_6205c.JPG

Eggplant didn't grow much yet, but have flowers, and the first planting of radishes mostly were just roots and tops.  Hope the second does better in this weather.

Potatoes, beans(pole and bush), cucumber(straight and pickling), variety of peppers, zucchini, carrots, and spinach fill in the rest.  Chickens eat what we can't use.

Round mound in the background are sunflowers for the birds.

IMG_6207c.JPG

Pear tree doesn't have a bumper crop like it usually does, but I've got enough.  Hated to chop down the mulberry tree.  They were very sweet mulberries, but it got too big to control from shading the garden.

IMG_6217c.JPG

Birds devour my huckleberries, especially the catbirds.  I have to get out at first light to get my share.  I planted four different types of blueberry bushes this spring.  I'll have to protect them from the birds once they produce enough, and let the birds have all the huckleberries.  Turkeys will lay spread eagle across the top of the bushes to eat them.  The bear already broke a bush.

IMG_6224c.JPG

Some nice gardens there. I do the same as you buck. I use the black landscapping stuff also. It saves me from having to weed every week all summer. I have about a dozen small tomatoes that popped out last week and my first zucchini popped out this week. Been eating cheyenne peppers for 3-4 weeks already. The bell peppers are starting to pop everywhere on my plants as well. Garden is definitely behind last years growth with all that cool spring weather we had.

Some nice gardens there. I do the same as you buck. I use the black landscapping stuff also. It saves me from having to weed every week all summer. I have about a dozen small tomatoes that popped out last week and my first zucchini popped out this week. Been eating cheyenne peppers for 3-4 weeks already. The bell peppers are starting to pop everywhere on my plants as well. Garden is definitely behind last years growth with all that cool spring weather we had.

Post up some pictures. Sounds like it's not behind at all.

Greybeard... your garden looks as a awesome as your pictures you take. Looks great. What are the sticks next to the walk way, sprinkler?

Usually just use them to mark where I planted seed rows, but decided this year to put them all the way along the walkway to keep the hose from crushing plants when I double back out.  Haven't had to water it yet this year, though. 

I was brought up to believe, hunting and raising your own veggies go hand in hand.

Living off the land was always a country way of life.

I've seen it diminish though the generations.

My grandfather had a huge garden and canned everything as well as raising chickens and a pig or steer every year that he butchered himself. He also fished a lot and there was not much catching and releasing...it was food ! ..Trapping money bought what couldn't be grown or made, or in other words...paid the bills,

My father had a large garden and canned tomatoes and froze sweet corn, and zucinni but not much else, he didn't raise pigs or beef either

My garden is even smaller and don't do any canning, but I gotta admit, sitting down to some grilled backstraps and fresh sweet corn and baked potatoe on a summer day is not only delicious but satisfying, knowing that none of your meal was store bought.

I was brought up to believe, hunting and raising your own veggies go hand in hand.

Living off the land was always a country way of life.

I've seen it diminish though the generations.

My grandfather had a huge garden and canned everything as well as raising chickens and a pig or steer every year that he butchered himself. He also fished a lot and there was not much catching and releasing...it was food ! ..Trapping money bought what couldn't be grown or made, or in other words...paid the bills,

My father had a large garden and canned tomatoes and froze sweet corn, and zucinni but not much else, he didn't raise pigs or beef either

My garden is even smaller and don't do any canning, but I gotta admit, sitting down to some grilled backstraps and fresh sweet corn and baked potatoe on a summer day is not only delicious but satisfying, knowing that none of your meal was store bought.

You are right. It is dying like a lot of the stuff our fathers and grandfathers did. It's a shame but the times are changing. It I will still hunt,fish,trap and still plant a garden. I love fresh home grown veggies from my garden with some fresh fluke I catch. The best is a big tomato sandwich after work is awesome.