IGNORED

Maine Moose Lottery

cha ching. lol cant wait for pics. you better take enough pics and video that I feel I was the hunter

Yes, it's going to hurt, but I figured it may be the only moose hunt my wife ever goes on, so I want them working hard for us.  If we get one this year it will be our 3rd moose up there and the next permit we draw will be a DIY type hunt.

did u do the guarantee 50" moose package

Initially I did not, but I got to thinking.  If I have the regular package and someone else has the guarantee package, who are they going to put on that huge bull that they just scouted.  Not me.  They are going to bust their butt to get us a big bull or loose a lot of money. ;)

Edited by Nomad

Last year we didn't put in for permits only for our bonus points. Glad we did that, drew a bull tag this year! Not bad for only being in 3 years.

How many total points did you have this year with your annual points and any 2017 points you purchased?

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Threw the 2012 numbers provided into Excel, and the magic number is approximately $3,200. 

Meaning, if you spend that much money for bonus points, it would be virtually mathematically impossible to not pull an out-of-state moose permit.  That's a lot of money, but when you think how much some of those western elk etc... hunts cost, it's probably not crazy.  If you're a gambler, you could spend 1/2 that, about $1,600 and take your odds down to a coin flip.

They auction off 10 permits every year before the lottery and they went for between $14,000 and $16,000 dollars this year, so $3200 is a bargain.  http://georgesoutdoornews.bangordailynews.com/2017/03/06/hunting/ten-maine-moose-permits-sell-for-stunning-150000/

Edited by Nomad

Alaska big game permits are sold to Guides No Lottery  The permit and the Guide is one Booking. But a Lot more than Maine Vermont NH. Would cost $$$$$$$$$$$$

Add there is No Do It Yourself for Non-Residents You have to Hire a Guide Unless you have a Brother Resident ;)  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I believe I had 3 points because we've only been putting in the last 3 years. I typically buy a $55 pack of 10 chances each year.

So 13 total chances?   Your ballpark odds were about 1 in something like 42 to 45, depending on total applicants this year.   Lucky!

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

apparently my dad got a bull permit, i guess they are really giving them out this year lol........... unreal

Seems roughly the same.   New Hampshire and Vermont dropped their moose permits quite a bit on the belief the herd numbers have dropped. 

I looked into the Vermont lottery, it's $25 to enter, but they're only giving out 80 permits this year, and only 10% (8) go to out-of-state residents!   Something like 1 in 150 to 200 odds of getting pulled for a $25 fee = awful math. 

I'm still considering it though because who knows if 6 or 7 years from now the population rebounds and permits go back up to 500 again, at least I'd accumulate preference points.  But then I also thought as Vermont gets more and more liberal, it will likely become increasingly anti-hunting and eco-crazy, so they might intentionally keep permits down anyway even if the herd rebounds.

Alaska big game permits are sold to Guides No Lottery  The permit and the Guide is one Booking. But a Lot more than Maine Vermont NH. Would cost $$$$$$$$$$$$

Add there is No Do It Yourself for Non-Residents You have to Hire a Guide Unless you have a Brother Resident ;)  

Only certain species are guide required such as Brown Bear, Grizzly Bear, Sheep, and Goat. 

You can do a self guided Moose, Black bear, Wolf, and Caribou hunt