IGNORED

My first Gap hike

DV1

Took a ride this morning to the Gap to trek around a bit. Been through the area a few times but never stopped to hike. It reminded me of why I love to go there, and why I hate it. I love it because it's really nice up there, nothing like my part of NJ, and I hate it because 3 1/2 hours is about what it takes to get up to the Walpack area, and on a bad traffic day, like today with the downpours, it was 4 hours.

I got to Buttermilk Falls around 10 am and started my climb to the AT. Took the AT down to Crater Lake, then went around the lake, back up to the AT and to the Hemlock Pond trail. Took that little rocky path down to Hemlock Pond, went around the pond and back to the woods road, which I thought I read somewhere that it goes back towards the Buttermilk trail. I walked it until it ended but never crossed the trail back down to Buttermilk, so backtracked back up to the AT at the Hemlock Pond sign, then back tracked down the AT, to the Buttermilk trail, and down to the falls.

Good hike, took about 3 hours and learned a few things. First, I underestimated the trail. I came unprepared by wearing jeans and sneakers (not good on those rocky paths) with just a regular T shirt, and only 1 water bottle, which I left in the truck. So, after getting back to the truck, downing that water bottle, I went over to the Boathouse Restaurant on Swartswood lake for some lunch and plenty of tall glasses of water. After that I went back to Tillmans Ravine and bounced around there for a bit to work off lunch before driving home. 

Would love to go up and explore further but it's just too much road time. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I like that place, too -- me and the wife went for the first time there last week. Really beautiful and yes nothing like it here in the southern part of the state. Only took us 2.5 hours, but still a long drive.

I guess they removed the tree that blocked the road about a mile before Buttermilk Falls? Did you come up from the south? This is what we hit - we had to park the truck and walk a mile from this spot to get to Buttermilk Falls - I think it had just fallen a day or two earlier:

tree-buttermilk-falls.jpg

Didn't see a tree in the road. I came in from the Walpack cemetery so it may have been further down the road. The drive up was extra long because of traffic and heavy rain. I usually go up 295 to 31, to 46, 94, etc. It's more scenic but takes about 3.5 hours normally that way. I went home 206-287-turnpike and that took about 3.5 hours from Tillman. Traffic on 287 was heavy, stop and go for about 7 miles but the turnpike was clear and fast all the way to exit 2. For some perspective, I can be in Virginia Beach, or the Busch Gardens/Williamsburg area in about as much time as it took me to get there. Or, if I drove to Buttermilk, got out, took a pee, got back in the car and drove straight home, it takes about as much time as it does for me to drive to my property in Ohio, get changed, walk to and get in my stand.

It's not as much mileage, it's just the traffic and congestion that I have to go through all the way there. I can usually be in Philly in about 20 minutes or so but when I have to go past it, like yesterday (the Rt 55-42-295 interchange) it takes almost an hour to get past the bridges in to Philly. 

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Crater Lake  :up:  My Father and I have Explored and Hunted just about every area in The Valley and Mountain. from 1951 to 2000 and I still Drive thru it all Reminiscing and remembering what is once was Tocks Island made many changes That land grab screwed over many generations that lived in that are.  My coming years went from a PopUp to 21 Ft Layton down to Tenting when my kids were no longer interested in Trailering. Worton State Forest Campground was by far the best camping on The Delaware  Remember $8.00 a night all have no hookups the sites at the South end in the woods were the best. 

Since it takes you so long to get there why not take up Tent camping or look into a Cabin in Stocks.  

If I had to choose what is the best part of NJ It would Be The Sky Lands.  

Just take into consideration Roads along the Delaware from The Gap to Rt 206 may suffer closures. And for some reason, the National Park Service and The State Park Service do not coordinate that info.Even The NJSP have no Idea since they do not patrol those areas.

I could go on and on about that area It is a 2 hour trip for me. It takes years to learn and explore so Pase yourself ;)  

493A9392.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Took that little rocky path down to Hemlock Pond, went around the pond and back to the woods road, which I thought I read somewhere that it goes back towards the Buttermilk trail. I walked it until it ended but never crossed the trail back down to Buttermilk, so backtracked back up to the AT at the Hemlock Pond sign, then back tracked down the AT, to the Buttermilk trail, and down to the falls.

That woods road should connect to the Buttermilk Falls trail.  

buttermilk trail.png

That woods road should connect to the Buttermilk Falls trail.  

attachicon.gifbuttermilk trail.png

I think I was on that one, but after about 1/4 mile, there was no longer a discernible trail. It kind of hit a spot where the brush was 3 feet high all around. I went through it for a bit and walked around, but couldn't find where the trail began again. I was on the woods road that you cross after coming down the narrow, rocky Hemlock Pond trail from the AT. After crossing that, you go down and hit the path that goes around the pond, and either go around, or drop down to the waters edge.

I knew I was headed in the right direction to get back to Buttermilk, or could have dropped down the ridge to the left to the road and walked it back to the parking lot, but was in jeans and sneakers, not really bushwhacking attire. Besides, the exercise didn't hurt me. 

My wife and her friend did the same hike as DV1 and they also did not find the trail back to Buttermilk, and went the wrong way at Hemlock. They ended up coming out at the Blue Mt. Lake parking lot.  Luckily, two old gentlemen were there and gave them a ride back to their car. lol

Edited by Nomad