IGNORED

Cabo San Lucas fishing trip review

tjfslaughter

All,

I just wanted to share you a positive experience I had in Cabo last week.  I went down for 12 days with my wife and we decided to fish for a day.  We have been down there 4 times and fished every time.  We fish with http://www.dreammakercharter.com/smokehouse/index.html  or  https://www.facebook.com/gricelda.smokehouse 

They have 3 different boats to choose from:

28 foot with twin outboards $400 per full day

31 foot bertram $500 per full day

35 foot hatteras $550 per full day

License $17

Bait $30 (for 10 live baits)

We usually take the Bertram or the 28' boat.

We decided to take the 28' boat this time and we set out at 6:15.    We first trolled for Sierras with hopes of catching a Rooster fish or Yellowtail.  Within the first hour of fishing we had 6 Sierras in the boat, released 2 Rooster fish, and caught a Yellowtail and Amberjack.  We decided to go out and troll for Marlin.   After about 2 hours of trolling we could not find a Marlin....  I was getting a little bummed. I was watching the back of the boat and the captain was watching the front.  My wife as "relaxing"  I look up and see a dark spot going towards the bait and I tell the captain.  He yells Shark!  Want to go after him, with no hesitation I said yes.  We waited and the shark hit the center bait (5 rods out).  I grabbed the rod and the captain said wait for it to run for 10 seconds before slamming the bail and setting the hook.  The reel was screaming and the captain was scrambling to get the other baits in.  

After about 10 seconds I set the hook and wow.  This shark took off like a runaway train.  After about an hour of fighting it we got it along side the boat and the captain cut the leader.  My arm was toast.  Once we got all rigged up again I decided to go lay down for a little bit.  I asked my wife to be look out.  We were still looking for Marlin.  About 30 minutes goes by my wife points to the captain and says "what's that"   :)  The captain yells MARLIN!!!!  

I jump up and grab the rod with the live bait in the ready position and toss it towards the Marlin.  Within 10 seconds the Marlin is circling the bait.  Boom he hits the bait and after about 5 seconds I turn the drag on and set the hook.  The fight was about 30 minutes and we got it in and released it.  We decided to go ahead and troll for wahoo on the way back.  We had a great day.  When we were at the smoke house to have the fish processed my wife says...........So you want to go out again this week.  I smiled.  We decided to go out later in the week.

The second day of fishing was very good.  We caught a Red Snapper, Grouper, Sierra, and Yellowtail.  

We had a local restaurant make ceviche and dinner out of a filet of the yellow ail, the rest of the fish we brought home.

I will be posting pics in a few.  If you ever head down to Mexico DO NOT BOOK A TRIP THROUGH YOUR RESORT OR SOME GUY ON THE DOCKS, ONLY GO WITH SOMEBODY THAT HAS A STOREFRONT OR YOU HAVE BEEN REFERRED TO.  I have been burned before. 

One of the nice things about these guys:  When you go for Marlin, Sail fish, Tuna, setting the hook can be difficult and easy to screw up.  Many Captains will not allow the client to do this.  I prefer to do this and yes I have screwed it up.  If you have never done this make sure you discuss this with the captain prior and have a plan in place.  It might make sense for you to see it once or twice before you try it.

Edited by tjfslaughter

awesome, I fished a little N of there on the East Cape Baja several years bak, and had similar experience.  High quality fishing, at a fraction of the price elsewhere

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….