IGNORED

Gym Membership: Yea or Nay?

Rusty

So we got 2 months to get into shape, good.  How's this for a plan?  We bulk up through June and then we cut in July.

June:  Go heavy with lots of dark stouts like Guinness.

July:  Switch to light crisp lagers to work on definition.  

I don't discriminate against my beers.  My stomach welcomes all colors and kinds of beer.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

So we got 2 months to get into shape, good.  How's this for a plan?  We bulk up through June and then we cut in July.

At our age there is no more "bulking" only cutting. Unless you have some HGH I can have?

Edited by Nomad

At our age there is no more "bulking" only cutting. 

Sad but true.  I spent the first 25 years of my life trying to get over 200 lb. and the last 30 years fighting to stay under it.    :shakehead:  

I think you are going for this look, The belly could even hide Not on The Rug's Squirrel

Fat+man+speedo.jpg

• 1 month later...

My wife and I go to a small local gym 1 mile from home. I go 4 to 5 days a week. Four days a week weight training and at least 2 times of cardio. Nothing excessive, but at 61 it's alway good to stay active. Keep moving or they put dirt on you is my motto. We are lucky, 30 bucks a months for the both of us. My wife goes 2 times a week and walks almost everyday. We also have free weights at home, but never seem to to stay focused at home. Too many distractions. They will be going to my daughter's home very soon.

image.jpeg

Edited by Batsto

I go 4 to 5 days a week. Four days a week weight training and at least 2 times of cardio. Nothing excessive, but at 61 it's alway good to stay active. Keep moving or they put dirt on you is my motto. 

You are so right Batso  It doesn't have to be excessive, the best workout is the one that you will stick with.  I see so many well intentioned people start these crazy workout programs that they'll never stick with.   

I belong to a gym....right now, because I am using the services of a personal trainer to get past years of both injury and neglect when my time is up with him I will quit.

To not belong to the gym and use his services and reap his knowledge would be cost prohibitive I see him Friday mornings the rest of the time I work out at home and will do so when my time is up with him.

I spend more than enough time traveling for work and I happen to like both my home and wife ....when I can be around them.

The knowledge I gained has stopped the back pain that robbed so much from me and has helped me to over come the I jury's and tendonitis that was robbing me of the traditional archery I so love and may well be one of the elements that defines me as a person....money well spent.

It's amazing how proper excercise is such a life saver. I would love to see if the Trump administration will push fitness. We have financial plans for life, but many forget to think about the necessary maintenance of our bodies for the long haul.

Even though I'm currently out of shape do to eating habits and lack of exercise I've belonged to several gyms and worked out with several trainers. A gym membership is great for maintenance if you're already decently in shape and self motivated. If you're like me and easily bored with or prone to blowing off the gym a class is better. I loved doing sports training type classes and actually power yoga, the group atmosphere makes it more fun and encourages accountability. I have several friends who've joined the crossfit cult but can't recommend it in good conscience, too many people without any lifting technique rushing and hurting themselves. It does get quick results though and it's very addictive.

Good luck

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

It is very hard to exercise regularly. I only do it when I am injured and can't play hockey and it is mental, not physical anguish for me to site on stationary bike for an hour or even 30 minutes. Luckily I am most of the time injury free and I play. Playing sports is an exercise like no other and you look forward to each and every game. Also, competing against others you push yourself much harder than you ever could in a gym. When I am done playing, we usually rent the ice for 1.5 to 2 hours, I am so tired it takes a monumental effort to even take my skates and equipment off.  

Every one of you played some sports. There are leagues and clubs out there for almost anything you like . Go and sign up and you will not regret it. I am 20 years this year into "getting back to hockey" and I still can't wait for the next game. Playing is much more enjoyable than exercising.

Edited by Lunatic