IGNORED

Nature can be cruel

So I walked outside this morning with a cup of coffee in my hand and I hear a goose in distress call. I look on the lake and all I can see is a goose head above the water with her/his partner circling around. It took me only few seconds to realize what was happening. A snapper turtle grabbed the goose by one leg and would not let it go. She was fighting by staying afloat with her powerful wings but after a while she had less and less energy. The other goose tried to help and made several passes, attacking the turtle under water, but without much success. The goose was getting very tired and I didn’t give her another minute as only her head remained above the water. Yet, somehow the goose made what it look like one more and last attempt, almost rising above the water and the turtle let it go. She came up on land and the leg looked ok, only a minor limp.

165547420.2wxfMS4u.IMG_9605_2.jpg

165547412.iHT2LXtV.IMG_9613_2.jpg

165547413.ZN2dVsQE.IMG_9625_2.jpg

165547414.uA2tIjVA.IMG_9630_2.jpg

165547415.ndeH1KjW.IMG_9639_2.jpg

Cool and nice pics, as always.  One less goose would not have been missed.  Some of those snapping turtles get old and it's a shame to see them killed.

I have some ancient beasts on this lake and no one is fishing this lake. There are many and they are big. Geese and swans of late nest on the lake but almost none of their young survive. In 27 years only two, one goose and one swan.

Thanks

Thanks everyone !

Cool stuff to see right there. Great pics.

Cool pictures.  

Cool and nice pics, as always.  One less goose would not have been missed.  Some of those snapping turtles get old and it's a shame to see them killed.

Sad nature can be. But catching all the different stuff on camera like you do is really cool.