IGNORED

Fluke Boats Making Switch

1957Buck

Star-Ledger Al Fishstory  we all know him  :down:  Sherry Berry. well he mentioned some Head Boats Canceling Fluke trips and switching to Ling and Seabass :confused:   did not mention why $$$$ for 3 fish.  Might be the trend or not. Also read about 50lbs caught off Seaside offshore. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Remember when Ling was also a target fish. come spring summer Head boats NJ & NY were sides by side just off the Beach of Sandy Hook 1/2 to 2 miles off what they called the Golf Ball that was a Nike Radar dome. The ling came into that area to spawn.  They like the Whiting were called baseball bat sized. Most were caught Anchored with Clams. They also were called Sewer Trout - Trash fish. My father preferred them to whiting but then he loved Maceral  Baked - Salted. 

I see Whiting in The stores like 7-8 in.long but Ling are still not found at least Super Markets. 

Searobin was also on the menu at our house. I liked them. Was casting at the tip of the hook watching for lack of a better word Immigrants filling buckets with the ones that were just thrown up the beach in Disgust. Sad how some fish are wasted for a lack of its value as table Fare. 

What fish do you remember were plentiful In Nj Waters.

1.Porgies-2,BlowFish-3.Fluke-4.Whiting-5.Ling-6.Black Fish-7.Seabass-8.Weakfish-9.Kingfish-10. Spots-11.Kingfish-12.Bonita - 13.Bluefin Tuna. 14.Tile Fish. 15. COD 16. Lobsters. 71. Softshell clams. 

16. Pollack 17. inshore Yellowfin Tuna. 18. Dolphin can you add any more?

Come back fish Blues - Stripers - Dogfish. Bunker- 

Head Boats that have gone- Satellite- Super Cat - Viking  - Captain??-  Ideal-====== 

Salt Water Registry so far free.  Where are we Headed  ??????

Edited by 1957Buck

I miss catching weakies. I used to whack them on fin s shads at night. Also, remember catching croakers non stop on clams. Got into kingfish really good in the mid 90's at shark river inlet.

Weakies - What are they? LOL I can't recall the last time I saw a boat go out for them!!

I remember the old Mistake out of the Atlantic Highlands. The old man was an amazing captain! He could chase rain fish like no one else and get you into the thick of blues! Trips out with him you could find the blues, stripers and weaks stacked up and if you could get through the blues down to the Weaks and Stripers you were lucky and had a blast! Every hit and hook set you waited in anticipation to how the rod bent and reacted to guess what you had on the line!

The old time captains died or retired! The head boat industry in NJ has drastically changed since those days. I don't know if the new captains don't know what the old timers did or the fishery has changed so much that even the old timers would struggle but I think the success rate has dropped off huge over the years and boats spend more time moving and searching than fishing.

To add insult to injury Commercial Boats fishing waters they weren't allowed to years ago have put a hurt in the fishery. Regulations set to "help" only hurt the recreational fisherman.

I barely go out anymore and REFUSE to give the headboats what they are asking to catch shorts and keep 1 or 2 legal fish if you are lucky! I will go to the fish market instead.

Miss the old days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What fish do you remember were plentiful In Nj Waters.

1.Porgies-2,BlowFish-3.Fluke-4.Whiting-5.Ling-6.Black Fish-7.Seabass-8.Weakfish-9.Kingfish-10. Spots-11.Kingfish-12.Bonita - 13.Bluefin Tuna. 14.Tile Fish. 15. COD 16. Lobsters. 71. Softshell clams. 

16. Pollack 17. inshore Yellowfin Tuna. 18. Dolphin can you add any more?

19. Boston Mackerel

Edited by mightyhunter

I miss catching weakies. I used to whack them on fin s shads at night. Also, remember catching croakers non stop on clams. Got into kingfish really good in the mid 90's at shark river inlet.

Same here!!!! bait shops used to sell sandworms by flats and we would go through them with several hits on each drift through the channel. It was a fun fish to catch!  They were here on Raritan Bay up to about 2005.

Edited by Lunatic

Weakies - What are they? LOL I can't recall the last time I saw a boat go out for them!!

I remember the old Mistake out of the Atlantic Highlands.  

(Mistake) did you mean The Misstake  Great boat The one I could not remember was The Capt. Charly his son ran the Supper Cat Fast but too high off the water think he finally sold it to Woods Hole Mass Research. Those were the days of $8. bottom fishing $10 blue fish chumming $9 Jigging.  A lot of those boats were  War surplus.

owned a home fuel business and one great Fishfinder. since all the electronics of today did not exist.

They all used CB radios and had codes for locations to mislead the Small boat fleet that chased them. Then came VHS and now Cell Phone and Satellite.

We had a group of 5 boats that passed info by codes but when it got crowded our last boat to arrive would dump a Giant Bag of Pop Corn some 1/2 mile away the Seagulls went nuts and the fleet went running.    :popcorn:

It will never be what is was. Party boats were a lot of fun when variety and limits were plentiful. They were also very affordable. My last trip was on the Fisherman for stripers. I was leading the pool for the whole day with the only fish caught. Got beat in the last hour with the only other striped bass caught by a pound. Caught a dogfish in a ripping tide. A better fight than the striper.