IGNORED

Beer

Psehunter

Okay, you ignorant heathen, it's time for some edumacation in beer.

IPA was "invented" out of necessity hundreds of years ago.  Back in the day when England was full of arrogant imperialists and had done their finest to take over India, the poor lads they sent over there were craving the quaffability of their homeland's pale ale.  The problem with getting authentic pale ale from England to India was spoilage.  Ships had to travel south, underneath Africa and then navigate to India.  Most of the ale that arrived was in a very poor state after the months-long journey.

Smart brewers in the UK realized that adding more hops to beer acted like a preservative (technically, adding hops decreases the pH of the beer making it more acidic and more resilient to infecting microbes).  So they added a lot more hops to the pale ales they were shipping to India so they could survive the journey.  Sure enough, the hoppier ambrosia did survive the journey much to the delight of the troops station in India oppressing the locals and forcing them to assimilate to British culture.  Henceforth this hoppier ale was referred to as India Pale Ale.

That's today's beer history lesson.  Tomorrow's lesson might be on Russian Imperial Stout.

Now, the American interpretation of IPA is annoying.  Some brewers seem like they are in a contest to create the bitterest beers on the market.  It's kind of like chefs competing to see who can make the saltiest soup.  I tend to avoid American IPAs where I can.  The British ones are better balanced.

Nice history lesson, but I agree with Jack, that stuff is undrinkable! :vomit:  :)

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

personally I think most beer tastes better from a can. Impossible for any light to get through and skunk it up.  Not a fan of Hieneken in bottle, but really like it from the can. Some of the more mass produced light beers like bud/coors/miller - not much difference cans are more convenient. Craft beers are brewed in such low volume overall, and they use such dark bottles that the skunk rarely sits in...    Now if it's an IPA - doesn't matter, it's all crap.... You can take that over-hoppy junk and dump it.

Green bottles are not as good as amber when it comes to keeping the skunk off.  I used to talk to Dick Yuengling about his green bottles for Lager because he knows amber protects better, but he figured it was a combination of tradition to keep the bottles green and the fact that it isn't imported oversees in who knows what temperature fluctuations along the way like Heineken.  

That said, can coatings have reached a point where you can no longer tell if from can or bottle.  That wasn't always the case with cans.   

Edited by Bucksnbows

With all The Outdoorsman on here, not one went to Scotch. 

Had many beers in my lifetime in person from Alaska to Persian Gulf states.

Must say big producers in the USA Bud being the worst watered-down version of Beer.   Have been losing to imports and US Craft Beers

Sadly do to Heart and Blood problems I had to find a replacement the photo is what I tried #1 IMO is by far the best.

YEP, Non-Alcoholic.  Before any put downs just try # 1.   Bud and Miller Make one  that is Sh## 

#1 comes in at $7 +- but when alcohol is not a choice This settles a thirst with No BUZZ  :happywave:

Beers post.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I also think where you are Drinking any beer has to do with Taste. Like at Home -on a Boat in your favorite Tavern.

The Photo is The Salty Dog Saloon In Homer Alaska on The Spit. a very historical place and a lot of stories. one being Puting your Name and State on A Dollar Bill and Tacking it to Wall Ceiling Your choice.  Probably got $10 there over the years. Every PC of Wall and Ceiling is covered. Think that would work in NJ.

download.jpg

mj-618_348_get-a-drink-at-the-salty-dawg-saloon-in-homer-why-you-should-visit-alaska (1).jpg

salty-dawg-saloon-166.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

Who here remembers going into a NJ bar on Sunday's and ordering beer to take out.

Since they couldn't sell bottles or cans on Sundays but the could sell tap beer, they would put it in cardboard containers !

NJcontainer.jpg

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Who here remembers going into a NJ bar on Sunday's and ordering beer to take out.

Since they couldn't sell bottles or cans on Sundays but the could sell tap beer, they would put it in cardboard containers !

attachicon.gifNJcontainer.jpg

Profile puts you at 74 me June 20 -will 76 I remember well the cardboard Container not just for Sundays Galloping Hill Carhop In Union had the only Draft beer so if you took out that was what was used. The older guys would buy them for us. 50 cents a quart and charge us 50 cents more But do you remember the porcelain Bucket called a Growler was for taking out also I remember around 8 yo my father sending me to the tavern to by his beer when my grandfather came to a visiting? never took the money it went on the tab  Emagine sending any Underage Kid to get your beer. The photo is real I still have that Growler bit rusty now. 

il_570xN.470812247_ex1g.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck

Profile puts you at 74 me June 20 -will 76 I remember well the cardboard Container not just for Sundays Galloping Hill Carhop In Union had the only Draft beer so if you took out that was what was used. The older guys would buy them for us. 50 cents a quart and charge us 50 cents more But do you remember the porcelain Bucket called a Growler was for taking out also I remember around 8 yo my father sending me to the tavern to by his beer when my grandfather came to a visiting? never took the money it went on the tab  Emagine sending any Underage Kid to get your beer. The photo is real I still have that Growler bit rusty now. 

I am 74 but will be 75 on  JUNE 20th  how about that !

We should get together to celebrate our birthdays with a beer or two !

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.