IGNORED

Turkey mount- behind the scenes

I'd like to share a photo of a behind the scenes turkey mount. This may be the difference between a cheap mount and a not so cheap mount...

Many mounts are not "preened"

They are quickly sewn up, feathers land where they land, and they are returned to customers for a "commercial" quality mount that most hunters love.

The step above would be to spend a few hours preening the feathers. By taking tweezers and adjusting each individual feather into their proper location will make all the difference in a bird mount.

The goal is to go from this.... to this:20170518_140913.jpg20170518_141443.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How do you make the individual feathers to stay where you move them to?

The inside of the skin has been fleshed to the point there is no membrane holding the quills together. They are free to move anywhere and usually stay from friction of the feather above and below .

the tip of the back where the feathers stand up straight has a whole tube of liquid nail adhesive smeared under the skin to grab all the quills and hold them up.

Pins, tape, string, cardboard, screen, cotton, wires...or any other means of holding feathers in place are common in bird mounting.. do whatever it takes to make them stay where they need to be to look real.

The inside of the skin has been fleshed to the point there is no membrane holding the quills together. They are free to move anywhere and usually stay from friction of the feather above and below .

the tip of the back where the feathers stand up straight has a whole tube of liquid nail adhesive smeared under the skin to grab all the quills and hold them up.

Pins, tape, string, cardboard, screen, cotton, wires...or any other means of holding feathers in place are common in bird mounting.. do whatever it takes to make them stay where they need to be to look real.

Thanks

Dam thats alot of feathers to move into the right position looks time consuming. I guess you need to do this with all birds.make a big difference in final look of the mount

Awsome work as usual jay.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk