• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Fluke Regs

24 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Buck154

Buck154

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 11:32 AM

Looks like they are set May 25 through September 5 with 3 fish at 18".

Party boats are going to take a hurting :shakehead:

Edited by Buck154, 05/18/17 - 11:41 AM.

#2 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 12:06 PM

The way we're going, doormats will be shorts in a decade.  I wish they would use real science with saltwater fisheries management.  

• Agree x 2
  • List

#3 Male OFFLINE   rgw

rgw

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 12:21 PM

welp boys wack and stack as many prego. females as you can then sell your boat next year. you know it is going to one

#4 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,838 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 01:25 PM

Meanwhile...

• Dislike x 3
  • List

#5 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,838 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 01:27 PM

Oh and this...

• Dislike x 2
  • List

#6 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,838 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 01:29 PM

I get commercial guys need to make a living, but look at all the other businesses impacted by these types of regulations.

What do you think the commercial vs recreational fishermen kill rate is?  Look at the fish laying on those decks!  How long are they sitting there?  How many are already dead by the time they're thrown back?

Look at those videos and explain to me how recreational fishermen are doing more damage than commercial fleets.

Forget the fact that there are plenty of fish out there to begin with, but why are recreational fishermen taking on the burden of this while all of the businesses that revolve around the recreational fishermen are suffering as a result?

• Agree x 3
  • Like x 1
  • List

#7 Male OFFLINE   Buck154

Buck154

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 01:37 PM

It sucks :rant:

• Agree x 1
  • List

#8 Male OFFLINE   Nanuk

Nanuk

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 02:07 PM

I'm so glad I listened to my wife and didn't buy a boat ...... Probalby the first time she was right and first time I listened 👎 😳

I do however make an Excellant first mate.... I clean up Filet Fish and tye rigs Lol

Edited by Nanuk, 05/18/17 - 02:10 PM.

• Like x 3
  • Funny x 1
  • List
Better to be Hated for You Who You Are , Then Liked for Who Your Not .....

#9 ONLINE   Blend No 27

Blend No 27

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 03:08 PM

bummer

#10 Male OFFLINE   mightyhunter

mightyhunter

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 03:13 PM

Very sad what they are doing to this fishery. Party and charter boats will feel the brunt of this for sure.

#11 Male OFFLINE   B B

B B

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 03:13 PM

It is what it is.  The fisherman will keep on fishing no matter what.  Hope these regs don't hurt the party boats.  Catch em' up boys.   

#12 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,838 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 03:21 PM

It will definitely hurt the charter and party boats.  Look at winter flounder, went to 2 fish and the strong majority of guys stopped going on boats for them.

• Agree x 2
  • List

#13 Male OFFLINE   mightyhunter

mightyhunter

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 03:56 PM

It is what it is.  The fisherman will keep on fishing no matter what.  Hope these regs don't hurt the party boats.  Catch em' up boys.

Not true, like BowhunterNJ said fluke fishermen will eventually give up fishing for them just like winter flounder.
It will get to the point where it's just not worth the $$$ to target them anymore.
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#14 Male OFFLINE   B B

B B

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 06:39 PM

I don't doubt the new regs will have an effect of some sort, but I don't think it's the end of flounder fishing.  Would you rather they close the season for a year?  No sense in whining over it it's not gonna change anything.  There's more important things to whine about like baiting and crossbows.    

• Dislike x 2
  • List

#15 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 07:50 PM

I don't doubt the new regs will have an effect of some sort, but I don't think it's the end of flounder fishing.  Would you rather they close the season for a year?  No sense in whining over it it's not gonna change anything.  There's more important things to whine about like baiting and crossbows.    

And Rage BHs :happywave:

• Funny x 1
  • List

#16 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,838 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 08:26 PM

I don't think it will end fluke fishing entirely but it will discourage occasional fishermen. For example I fished the winter flounder for several years and then when it went to 2 fish I haven't gone since. Those that will continue fishing are ones that value the fishing over the table fare versus cost OR those who will disregard the regs and just do what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#17 Male OFFLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 08:36 PM

No problem it will go the way of Bluefin Tuna - Soward Fish on the larger side, to what happened to Boston Mackeral. Tile Fish Black Fish Sea Bass. Winter Flounder I saw Whiting in a Market in Freehold and other places selling then they were 7 Inches long NO BS. Ling has not seen any when bags of them along with Baseball sized whiting was common.  

I remember when they shut down Striper fishing in NJ no one was catching them. while other states never closed. They came Back big time VA put a commercial number limit on them so the beach netters would drag the nets ashore pick out the biggest and wasted the rest on the beach. 

Porgy's all but disappeared remember the Raritan Bay Porgy Pirates that wiped them out with illegal Night Netting.  Belford Co-OP was Notorious for breaking the laws. 

Fish run in cycles is well known. But Man does more harm than good. 

:devil: Where did all that money Donated to do-gooders many Party Boat capt? to fight for the fisherman on the fluke front go All of them have disappeared Scams all of them. 

So now comes 3 fish. at $70. 1/2 day boat Beer Tackle. trip expenses.$6 tip for Mate Not Me. 

5 gal bucket folding chair Tackle bait, maybe a lure or 2 cooler for snacks and water. Start when I want to quit when I want No fish to Clean because I catch and release 99% of what I catch if I catch anything in the first place

I get my fish fix from Keyport Fishery and Wolly's Fish Market along with some Fries Slaw Lemon and Tarter. 

The only value is My Lifetime Senior Clamming Licence where past season wound up with little over 600 nice Navesink Mixed size clams to share and Freeze. THats Value. 

Let's see how many loads up on the Head Boats for a very expensive 1/2 day and 3 Fish and around 7 lbs of Fillet   

• Like x 1
  • List

#18 Male OFFLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 09:01 PM

OR those who will disregard the regs and just do what they want.

Enter the No Speak English crowd I have seen it all. keep all. they catch with very little law enforcement. or totally ignoring them.Every public spot has them.   

Want some entertainment on a weekend day Grab something cool to drink arrive about 1:30 PM At the Seating area at The Atlantic Highlands Boating Ramp. The show starts with comical Launches and retrievals. Than The Boats that arrive and tie up to floating dock and one guy gets out to get tow vehicle. and an NJDFAG Warden goes to that boat and asks How did you do can I board your boat or look in your cooler I have seen the Warden carry so many fluke to the cooler in his pickup truck. he has to call for Backup.One after the other they ignore the laws. and this is every weekend never been during the week. 

Emagine what goes on in all Those private Marinas.    

Wonder what NJDFAG does with all the fish  ;)

#19 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 09:48 PM

I don't think it will end fluke fishing entirely but it will discourage occasional fishermen. For example I fished the winter flounder for several years and then when it went to 2 fish I haven't gone since. Those that will continue fishing are ones that value the fishing over the table fare versus cost OR those who will disregard the regs and just do what they want.

I live on Raritan bay and I can see a  hot spot for winter Flounder from my window. Before they went to 2 there was a flotilla anchored in that spot almost every day. Now there is a handful of boats fishing, some days not one.

• Agree x 1
  • List

#20 Male OFFLINE   Nanuk

Nanuk

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 11:26 PM

The New Target Species of NJ , Fine Table Fare ....... Fish Cakes Anyone

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by Nanuk, 05/18/17 - 11:33 PM.

• Disturbing x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List
Better to be Hated for You Who You Are , Then Liked for Who Your Not .....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users