IGNORED

Taxidermy - what to look for

Im creating this thread due to a post on a facebook page I recently seen. Numerous hunters posted photos of their mounts all saying "my guy is the best" or "cant beat it for $300".

I looked at the mounts, as im sure most quality taxidermists did, and shook my head at the obvious flaws that only a beginner should make.

Im not Gods gift to taxidermy, but I can show you all a few BASIC things to look for when picking a taxidermist. These things should be on your mind when looking at a guys showroom.

Ive never seen a post like this before, so I figured its about time to sit down and edit some photos to show the average hunter what to look for when deciding on who to leave their once in a lifetime buck with for a mount.

These are not all 100% correct ALL the time, but the USUAL anatomical traits that you want to see in a standard deer mount...every deer is different, but here are the "textbook" things to look for.

I hope this helps...

Feel free to ask questions.

Compare these photos of LIVE DEER**** (never use dead deer photos as reference unless you want your mount to look like a dead deer)

These photos are not of mounted deer. they are of live, breathing deer.

Please excuse the spelling errors in the photos.. I didn't realize prior to saving/uploading. Rushed through this between doing a few things around the shop.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

eye.jpg

front eye.jpg

nose.jpg

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

Here's a closeup of a customer deer I mounted. This shows eye rotation which those other live photos do not. Other than that, compare to live photos. This particular mount shows the deer looking off to the side for more "attitude"tapatalk_1442607333980.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have never used a Taxidermist. I always just cut the Antlers off and put them on a plaque. I still have my first Buck I ever shot. Nice little eight point I killed in a swamp on Phillhower Rd. in Califon. It was a few days before I went to Vietnam. Today I wish I had had them done.

That being said a Taxidermist that would do a Black Squirrel Rug for a fella is OK in my book. One of the things you just never forget.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

I have never used a Taxidermist. I always just cut the Antlers off and put them on a plaque. I still have my first Buck I ever shot. Nice little eight point I killed in a swamp on Phillhower Rd. in Califon. It was a few days before I went to Vietnam. Today I wish I had had them done.

That being said a Taxidermist that would do a Black Squirrel Rug for a fella is OK in my book. One of the things you just never forget.

Stevo - your next buck is getting mounted, one way or another. Hope you get out and score this coming season.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

We can always get a cape and mount your first buck ;)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jay now your secrets are out .thats why your mounts all look alive not stuffed. Great information Thanks for posting it. your behind the scenes are awsome also .your a stand up taxidermist aways will to help sportsmen with their trophies and puts alot of pride in you work.thanks for sharing .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The most interesting part to me is that you have to redo the nosebumps.  I never knew this.  What happens, do they desiccate when naturally drying and lose their form?

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775