IGNORED

2016-2017 NJ Deer kill numbers are out (big rebound from last season)

BenedictGomez

Permit Bow ??? Meaning Bow Licence. Like Shotgun Black powder. ??? 

Not a license. You have to have a bow license to hunt from the beginning of the season +- September 10th to the end of October and you have to have a bow license to buy any bow permit. After that you are not bow hunting unless you buy addition permits specific to your zone.  Permit bow is the period of time Between October 29th and December 31s. Without it you could not hunt with a bow during the 6 day.

Edited by Lunatic

It would be interesting to see the weapon used category listed by the state. They do ask when reporting your harvest during the archery seasons. I'd be willing to bet that there is a majority.

In any season the type of weapon is required when reporting

I think at this point with the last 5 or 6 years of data, this is now impossible to deny. But it's not just 6-day, the kill data from ALL firearm seasons has dipped and been replaced with bow kills. But why? Is it all crossbows? Or has archery seen a renaissance in general?

I'd like to see the data carved out by crossbow kills and vertical kills to get some more granularity on the stats.

I think its a combination of things. One is the length of the archery seasons. This is something that has always made archery popular. Now with xbows being legal it has brang people more into the sport, that otherwise wouldn't have. And I also think baiting is a factor. I think baiting and xbows are the main reason for the increased winter bow kill. Just my opinion

Disclaimer.

This post is not meant to trash xbows or baiting. I do them both. :ko: Like I said just my opinion.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Edited by bill43

I think its a combination of things. One is the length of the archery seasons. This is something that has always made archery popular. Now with xbows being legal it has brang people more into the sport, that otherwise wouldn't have. And I also think baiting is a factor. I think baiting and xbows are the main reason for the increased winter bow kill. Just my opinion

Disclaimer.

This post is not meant to trash xbows or baiting. I do them both. :ko: Like I said just my opinion.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

When I look at the numbers I don't see steady harvest increase since 1999 when baiting was allowed. In fact I see numbers go up and down between 1999 and 2012 when crossbow became legal. Now since 2012 the numbers remain consistently high.

This is very complicated with way too many factors for us to come up with an answer. However; I believe the cross bow has much greater effect on number of deer killed than baiting. I wish they gave us the number of Bow licenses before and after 2012 and number of kills of Crossbow vs vertical.

If deer management is a science of numbers- a dead deer is a dead deer. Weapon is irrelevant as long as everyone plays by the rules and reports them.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

If deer management is a science of numbers- a dead deer is a dead deer. Weapon is irrelevant as long as everyone plays by the rules and reports them.

Sure but there is a possibility the new weapon, like a crossbow, could result in too many deer killed.  

Why care if the increased number of bow kills is because of crossbows? I'm along the lines of Jack play by the rules and report the ones that don't. Maybe it's because of an increased number of hunters, maybe dice crossbow has become legal people are making better shots and recovering more deer, maybe the generation of men that made 6 day so popular is getting smaller and smaller? It could be anything but I do know this, we as hunters need to be responsible everytime we go into the woods. In my opinion we need to not just shoot every deer you see. I know of a guy who took 10 deer this past season in another state. I asked him why shoot 10 deer? He responded because the state allows us to shoot as many as we want. This is a perfect example of an irresponsible hunter

Edited by Rutting Buck

"Your short on ears and long on mouth"

Sure but there is a possibility the new weapon, like a crossbow, could result in too many deer killed.

I am sure stick bow hunters said this with the introduction of guns and compounds and now compound hunters are saying this about crossbow hunters.

It is very simple. If it is "legal" use it! Know how to use is, use it safely and ethically!!

In regards to another post saying a hunter killed 10 because the state said they could:

If people just didn't shoot because they could, were selective in what they take and how many, things in itself would be different.

In some areas of this state Just cause the state says unlimited doe and 6 bucks a year doesn't mean we as sportsman & sportswoman have to take that many!

Greed and Selfishness play a big factor in the me me me Generation. We as a brotherhood need to police ourselves, only take what we need and let the young pass a year to mature and keep passing on to the next generation. Don't just shoot the first thing that steps out. Be selective, ensure you know your target and beyond and you make a clean ethical kill regardless of the weapon you are using!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id say that it shows how many deer there are in the neighborhoods, and guys are using archery equipment to go after them. the only guys i know who are consistently killing deer are either hunting private land and/or suburban small patches with bows/crossbows. nothing wrong with it, go get em, but if they never reduced the safety zone for archery you wouldn't see the same numbers

I gotta think it's the crossbows. I know some guys who could never practice with a compound and gave it up take deer with a Xbow and thankfully some older guys I know we'll couldn't really pull back bows anymore get back out with new xbows. And as far as bucks that ain't me killing em still haven't had a NJ bucks but 4 does past 2 years ???? glad to see archery in general is growing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chasing the deer that eat your bushes since 2012