IGNORED

RANGE FINDERS New Vs Old

hammer4reel

Been using an origional bushnell range finder for about 25 years. Its cumbersome but fits in my cat quiver side pouch well.

Works great ALL the time, nice days , rainy days,, even foggy days .

Got a great gift of a new Bushnell Range finder with ARC technology and clear shot, showing the height of an arrows flight  at its given distance,

BUT it only works when its perfect outside.

A slight rain, or even just a mist of fog and its worthless.

I dont get it, with all the improvements done over the last 25 years, I cant understand why they wouldnt keep the most important modes so you could use it in all conditions.

Talk about BASS  ACKWARDS  

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I have a Nikon 440 that I have also been using for years.  It is only slightly larger than a cigarette pack. It fits nicely in a shirt pocket.  It measures out to 440 yards (1/4 mile). I use it in 3D shoots, checking distances from my tree stand and making sure I am a legal safe distance from a house.

More important I use it to measure the distance where I last saw an animal I hit. That with a compass bearing and a GPS waypoint on the place where I shot from allows me to go to that exact spot without any guess work.

I have a Nikon 440 that I have also been using for years.  It is only slightly larger than a cigarette pack. It fits nicely in a shirt pocket.  It measures out to 440 yards (1/4 mile). I use it in 3D shoots, checking distances from my tree stand and making sure I am a legal safe distance from a house.

More important I use it to measure the distance where I last saw an animal I hit. That with a compass bearing and a GPS waypoint on the place where I shot from allows me to go to that exact spot without any guess work.

If you have a smart phone you should check out the free AntlerInsanity app. One of the things you can do with it is to check distance from your current position to anything you can find on a satellite view. If there is a house you can't even see or even know its there, you will see it on this app and it will give you a distance to it form your current location.   

If you have a smart phone you should check out the free AntlerInsanity app. One of the things you can do with it is to check distance from your current position to anything you can find on a satellite view.

Cool.. I just down loaded it and checked the Range Finder Feature for accuracy... The GPS was about 5 yards off from my exact location.. However the distance from where the GPS had me to a marked spot was pretty accurate..  Conclusion?.. The Range Finder feature is probably good enough for gun ranging but I wouldn't think its of much use for Bow..

:D

Cool.. I just down loaded it and checked the Range Finder Feature for accuracy... The GPS was about 5 yards off from my exact location.. However the distance from where the GPS had me to a marked spot was pretty accurate..  Conclusion?.. The Range Finder feature is probably good enough for gun ranging but I wouldn't think its of much use for Bow..

The actual GPS on this app, after you mark your stands, is actually the best I have ever seen and I own a top of the line hand held Garmin. This thing has a very quick reaction  to your movement. You can stand in place and it will detect you spinning around so you can precisely see the direction to your target. Hand held can't do that and you have to move for a while to get a good reading. The only problem is, it does not work if you have no cell signal.

I wouldn't use any GPS as a bow range finder and this is not the intend of this app. This app is great for getting to you stand and measuring distance to houses to see if you are legal.

Not putting down bushnell since i use a truth also, but it is at the low end of range finders. Its better than a halo but at $199 thats just an avg rangefinder IMO. Once you step up to a higher end like Leupold, Leica some top end nikons you are getting better glass which lets more light in helping low light or poor light conditions. Also I notice mine dont like the cold, it slows it down or makes it not work. I believe you have better internals tgan your old one, but i bet 20yrs ago more bushnell was made here in us making it sturdier. Again JMO

I have a Leupold RX1000i TBR. I can't say enough good things about it. Accurate, bright, bow mode, etc. If your sitting in a treestand checking distances to landmarks, the Bushnell is fine. But if your on the ground moving, especially in the mountains, a quality rangefinder makes a world of difference.

Edited by Woodsman416