IGNORED

How often do you change your bow string?

newjerseyhunter

It depends upon the wear on the string, which usually corresponds to use.Some people who shoot less, could easily get multiple years of use. The new bowstrings don't stretch as much as they did even 5 years ago, making them more durable.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

Just curious why do you think 3 years maybe the limit? Does something change in the way your bow shoots after 2?

Aside from the condition of the string deteriorating a little? Yeah. Your downrange groups will open up a couple inches. Might not be noticeable much at 20 or 30, maybe 1/2" or 1" which people tend to attribute to shooter error, but at 40+ it will certainly become noticeable. For me, I want the arrow to go exactly where I'm aiming.

I also spine and spin test my arrows. A shaft that is a bit out can miss an inch or even 2 at 40 yards. So an old arrow and an old string could have you missing the bullseye 4" at 40 yards. I wouldn't feel good about myself taking equipment like that out and trying to shoot an animal with it

Aside from the condition of the string deteriorating a little? Yeah. Your downrange groups will open up a couple inches. Might not be noticeable much at 20 or 30, maybe 1/2" or 1" which people tend to attribute to shooter error, but at 40+ it will certainly become noticeable. For me, I want the arrow to go exactly where I'm aiming.

I also spine and spin test my arrows. A shaft that is a bit out can miss an inch or even 2 at 40 yards. So an old arrow and an old string could have you missing the bullseye 4" at 40 yards. I wouldn't feel good about myself taking equipment like that out and trying to shoot an animal with it

I don't see any changes in my vertical in 6 years. You get your bow at the same place I do and I know they mark all bows with white paint so that you can see if something stretched/moved. My marks are in the same place kissing the string like they did 6 years ago when Ray put them on.  

Now the crossbow is much easier to detect if something is wrong because you sight it in from a complete rest, eliminating shooter's errors. It basically should hit where you aim. 3 years and once I sight one distance all other are still dead on.

I don't see any changes in my vertical in 6 years. You get your bow at the same place I do and I know they mark all bows with white paint so that you can see if something stretched/moved. My marks are in the same place kissing the string like they did 6 years ago when Ray put them on.  

Now the crossbow is much easier to detect if something is wrong because you sight it in from a complete rest, eliminating shooter's errors. It basically should hit where you aim. 3 years and once I sight one distance all other are still dead on.

I think that ultimately it depends on how much you shoot. I take care of my bow and string and wax it probably every other time or every third time I shoot. I shoot a lot thought. Been shooting 3x a week for the past month or so. That will gradually increase to nearly every day once it gets a little nicer out. I'll do that until about september or so when the season starts. Then i try to hunt as much as possible, but still fling a few a couple times a week, weather permitting.

I think I could go 3 years, but I feel more comfortable doing 2. I know they mark everything off, and you can see slight movement after some time.

Like I said though, it just depends on how much you shoot.

I think that ultimately it depends on how much you shoot. I take care of my bow and string and wax it probably every other time or every third time I shoot. I shoot a lot thought. Been shooting 3x a week for the past month or so. That will gradually increase to nearly every day once it gets a little nicer out. I'll do that until about september or so when the season starts. Then i try to hunt as much as possible, but still fling a few a couple times a week, weather permitting.

I think I could go 3 years, but I feel more comfortable doing 2. I know they mark everything off, and you can see slight movement after some time.

Like I said though, it just depends on how much you shoot.

I think you are right, I don't shoot nearly as much as you do.

I have an old PSE that I used for years, thousands of shots, I mean easily 10k plus on the same string. I never realized a difference, not a drastic one at least. My new bow is only a couple years old but definitely has several thousand shots on it, seems fine right now but I may change it this season to avoid any mid-season issues.

I have an old PSE that I used for years, thousands of shots, I mean easily 10k plus on the same string. I never realized a difference, not a drastic one at least. My new bow is only a couple years old but definitely has several thousand shots on it, seems fine right now but I may change it this season to avoid any mid-season issues.

That's the biggest reason to do it. However; having both vertical and crossbow I have a back up if one takes a chit on me so it is not a problem.

• 1 month later...

I'd rather replace the bow than replace a compound bow string

Totally unnecessary with today's modern material for

You need to shoot more. Some guys replace string and cables more than once a year because despite the advances in string material, they will all stretch and wear based on usage. If you aren't seeing stretch and wear ever, you aren't shooting enough

Has anybody taken a crossbow to simon-peter for strings and cables?  Mine are getting pretty worn after 3 years. I don't want to risk having a thread pop in the middle of the rut.  I'm wondering what it would cost to replace both, and if they do a good job.