• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

How often do you change your bow string?

35 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   newjerseyhunter

newjerseyhunter

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 10:15 AM

I had someone tell me that I should change my bow string after X number of shots because they are only made for so many shots. Furthermore, when the bow string finally "went bad" it would literally go from pin point accuracy to 5" spread in a few shots. Has anyone ever experienced this with their setup? I've been shooting a long time and while I wouldn't consider myself an expert I have never had a bow go instantly out of tune before no matter the age of the string. 

#2 Male ONLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 11:10 AM

I am on my 6th year with my vertical and 3 years on my crossbow. I will change it when I see evidence of stretching and when it affects my accuracy. Sometimes I think they tell you to change it every XXX shots to make more money on us.

• Agree x 2
  • List

#3 Male OFFLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 11:38 AM

I do every 3 years or so.. I don't shoot much and I don't wax the string until it's too late lol

Common recommendation is every other year, but it all depends on how much you shoot and how best up it gets from hunting.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#4 Male OFFLINE   NJ Predator

NJ Predator

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 11:52 AM

Never have

#5 Male ONLINE   mattg1500

mattg1500

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 12:29 PM

Just changed my creed string after 4yrs

#6 Male OFFLINE   smoking gun

smoking gun

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 12:42 PM

every 2 years
  • Like x 1
  • List

#7 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 12:44 PM

Same string, 17 years.

• Like x 3
  • List

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

#8 Male OFFLINE   mazzgolf

mazzgolf

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 01:01 PM

I have a buddy who had an old compound - from 90s I think? I don't even think it had a sight on it ("I just aim down the arrow"). Never practiced with it that I know of. I asked him if /when he changed his string, and he looked at me funny. "Never". :D He recently got a new bow. So I'm sure he's good for another 20 years.

#9 Male ONLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 01:10 PM

every 2 years

Same here. Every other year. I might be able to get away with every 3rd year, but I never push it that far. Just had mine done a few weeks ago

"that helpful a**hole"

#10 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 05:02 PM

When they get really really fuzzy or if I notice any badly frayed or broken strands or if they start having rotation or excess serving separation (usually signs of a broken strand).

I'm not a stickler like some guys. Very much the opposite, I usually get about 5-7 years out of them but wax them very regularly.

I build my own so they really don't cost much (all one color keeps it even cheaper)....So I could change them way more often, but see no need. A lot of care goes into each string or cable I build  so I trust them to last until they show signs of age and wear and tear.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

#11 Male OFFLINE   BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 06:55 PM

Crossbow strings can go for several years, and many, many shots if properly cared for.  

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

#12 Male OFFLINE   Zipper

Zipper

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 07:03 PM

When I used to shoot every day, I changed it every year. I don't shoot as much as I used to so now every 3 years. I keep an eye on my string and check my bow often, because you can damage your bow in the woods in a variety of ways. When at my Pro Shop I have him double check my own accessment.
"All men die, not all men really live". WW

#13 Male ONLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 07:22 PM

Same here. Every other year. I might be able to get away with every 3rd year, but I never push it that far. Just had mine done a few weeks ago

Just curious why do you think 3 years maybe the limit? Does something change in the way your bow shoots after 2?

#14 Male ONLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 07:29 PM

Crossbow strings can go for several years, and many, many shots if properly cared for.

I don't find much of a reason to practice with my crossbow. I check to make sure it's sighted before the season starts and then I check about every week or so, discharging the arrow at the end of the hunt to make sure I am still dialed in. I am thinking 95% of the shots I take is discharging it at the end of the hunt

#15 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 07:30 PM

I change my cross bow strings when they fray... that happens about every 1.5 years ...

• Like x 1
  • List

:D

#16 Male OFFLINE   Zipper

Zipper

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 07:33 PM

It depends upon the wear on the string, which usually corresponds to use.Some people who shoot less, could easily get multiple years of use. The new bowstrings don't stretch as much as they did even 5 years ago, making them more durable.
  • Creative x 1
  • List
"All men die, not all men really live". WW

#17 Male ONLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 07:34 PM

I change my cross bow strings when they fray... that happens about every 1.5 years ...

3 years on my crossbow and I see no evidance of it
  • Informative x 1
  • List

#18 Male OFFLINE   njbowhntr

njbowhntr

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 07:38 PM

I change my strings every year. For no other reason than I want to change them.  I put roughly 5000 shots a year on a set of strings, shoot about 100 arrows a week.  I practice constantly.  I feel owe it to the animal that I am trying to kill to ensure that my equipment and I are functioning perfect.  

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List
Ron

#19 Male ONLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 08:28 PM

Just curious why do you think 3 years maybe the limit? Does something change in the way your bow shoots after 2?

Aside from the condition of the string deteriorating a little? Yeah. Your downrange groups will open up a couple inches. Might not be noticeable much at 20 or 30, maybe 1/2" or 1" which people tend to attribute to shooter error, but at 40+ it will certainly become noticeable. For me, I want the arrow to go exactly where I'm aiming.

I also spine and spin test my arrows. A shaft that is a bit out can miss an inch or even 2 at 40 yards. So an old arrow and an old string could have you missing the bullseye 4" at 40 yards. I wouldn't feel good about myself taking equipment like that out and trying to shoot an animal with it
  • Agree x 1
  • List

"that helpful a**hole"

#20 Male OFFLINE   smoking gun

smoking gun

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 05/03/17 - 11:36 PM

if you shoot frequently they stretch

0 user(s) are reading this topic