IGNORED

Calling birds from a distance?

Jerseygti337

Anyone have any suggestions on calling birds from 150-200 yards? Today I had 5 gobblers in the field across from my property that I couldn't get to cooperate. Everything I tried seemed to keep them interested but they wouldn't budge from the corner of the field. Is 200 yards to far?

In woods? No, field? Yep, as you called they didn't see anything, next time try getting a hen decoy out on the edge, give them some thing to see, you may also want to put a jake decoy with it, a TOM sees a jake with a hen it pisses them off.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Take this for what you will...because turkeys have made me look like a genius to some, and dumber than a stump to others.

I don't think distance is that big a deal. While closing the gap would be better, 200 yards is doable for sure. It's more about where they want to go, or where they're willing to go. More often lately, I find very stubborn birds that no matter which way you go, they want you to follow them the other way. The past few years this has been ever increasing in frequency. Maybe heavily hunted birds are adapting, maybe I'm unknowingly doing something different that's causing that.

I do agree with ghostbear on decoys if it's very open. They are much more likely to come if they see birds where they hear them. 

Still comes down to being where they want to go though and what obstacles may be between you and the bird. 

Good luck. They can be the smartest, pea brained, dumb bird you'll ever meet.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Sneak around on the edge of the field towards them and cut the distance down. Call sporadically as you are moving, then set up on the field edge as close as you can get. With their eyesight and an open field they will rarely come that far

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

There's just no telling what them stupid geniuses will do.  In my opinion Matty pretty much said it right, "It's more about where they want to go".  I've thrown everything I had at them only to watch them walk away and I've had them sprint a hundred yards to check out the horrible noises I've made.  Mood is everything just like a deer responding to a grunt call or rattling horns.  One thing I always try to keep in mind is that the toms don't do all the walking.  Hens close the gap just as much sometimes more.  Educated toms will wait for that to happen and when it doesn't they move on.  I think closing the gap and calling as you go is your best bet.  The sound of a hen getting closer is second best to actually seeing the hen getting closer.  JMHO  

Edited by B B

Like others have said, there really is no secret to calling birds that are in a distance. Provided the wind isn't blowing too badly, they DID hear you. It comes down to a case of if they wanted to come your way that particular time or not. If you can move on them through the woods or a ditch, that is great, but if you spook them, you may wind up educating them. It's not as easy as they make it look on TV!! :banghead:  :banghead:

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

Find the right turkey, at the right time, and he will run across that field, up into the woods on the other side and get shot!  But... most of time their reaction to your calls will fall somewhere on the continuum between slight acknowledgement and approaching with interest.   Now...if you can get the hens talking to you, by mimicking their every call, provided they are talking,  that could bring the whole flock over.

Edited by Nomad

As others have said its all about the particular turkey. But your situation was already tough as you say there where hens there. Here is how I would have got them birds to come in if I could not have safely made a move to close distance. I would have called those hens in and ol big fella would have been in tow.  I have to do this all the time since hens are always a problem.

This is going to be obvious but sometimes you get them sometimes you dont. Ive had them come running in and refuse to come in. I guess that's why they call it hunting. I've failed way more times than I've succeeded. At this stage I am just happy to get out.

Edited by gillripper