IGNORED

I maybe getting new tenants :-)

Thanks

Both. I am using 100-400mm zoom lens but to get the type of detail you see in pic 2 of post #4, on a small bird, you have to be very close, +- 15'

Thanks again

That's about $2K worth of glass.  But I am a fan of Canon.  Great glass.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

"only" about $1600 unless the prices went up - I think for a good set up, camera and lens you will be around $2400 to 2600. Canon lenses have no competition

Good glass aint cheap, although there are some exceptions! :)

When you get into primes, especially 300mm+, the prices skyrocket...a big part of the reason I don't have one :rofl:

Good glass aint cheap, although there are some exceptions! :)

When you get into primes, especially 300mm+, the prices skyrocket...a big part of the reason I don't have one :rofl:

I can't give you the exact reason for the high prices on good lenses but I can tell you its a world of difference between good Canon lens, (that includes all of their white lenses), and an average lens when it comes to performance.

I'm a Nikon shooter, and yes when it comes to telephoto zooms and focus acquisition speed...both Canon and Nikon stand above the rest.

I've seen consistently phenomenal photos come out of both lens/body makers.

Some of the lower focal length lenses such as Rokinon are excellent image quality (on par with Nikon and Canon) but generally manual focus, slower focus acquisition (focus hunting), and/or higher aperture (less low light capabilities).

Off brand super telephotos generally don't perform nearly as well in any category...there is a noticeable difference IMHO.

"only" about $1600 unless the prices went up - I think for a good set up, camera and lens you will be around $2400 to 2600. Canon lenses have no competition

It's between $1,200 and $2K at B&H.

I just bought a T5i because it was dirt cheap.  Upgraded my original 6 Mpix Digital Rebel from about 15 years ago.  I have an off-brand 70-250 that I occasionally use, and have been playing with the idea of buying more glass.  Not sure if I want to get another zoom or get a fixed 35mm lens, which would be fun to shoot with (heck, any glass is fun to shoot with).

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Do you have the same problems with house sparrows and starlings ?

Starlings aren't an issue, because the proper sized bluebird hole is too small for them.

The problem is even worse with house sparrows though, but nothing that the scoped .177 doesn't solve.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775