IGNORED

and so it begins... turkey taunting

mazzgolf

This seems to happen to me every season now. And it is already starting. I want to call these birds dumb, but I really think its me who is dumb.

My friend has a property in an area of town loaded with birds. Hunted there Monday morning and this morning. Each morning, I swear there must be a half dozen Toms gobbling off in the distance, both mornings sounded like they were in the same spot. Far away. But never came in. Gobbling starts as soon as the sun peeks out, but stops at about 7:30. But I never saw a single bird.

Well, my friend called me up a few minutes ago... "Here's your scouting report. The birds were down by your blind this afternoon."  :rant:

They are now mocking me. They probably all took a dump right outside my blind, too.

I think I know what they are doing. If they are in a pattern now, they are roosting several hundred yards from my blind, but then come foraging in the afternoon by my spot and go beyond, and at night they head back to the roost. I'm gonna try to park myself next to a tree near where I think they are roosting and where I heard them the past two mornings I was out there. I would love to get my first A-week bird. It seems like it would be so easy with the amount of birds here, but I guess I can't match wits with a bird brain.

Hang in there, it can all change at a moments notice......

I have an area that has birds pitch directly to a field that is off limits (as well as the woods leading to it) as soon as they begin to fly down from the roost......It seems to be better later in the season when the hens start to nest up and the birds have fewer options....

Ditch the blind and move closer to them before the sun comes up. Close, but not too close. If there is an obstacle in their way like a creek and you are on the other side of it you won't get them to cross it, you would have to and set up on that side. If you want to catch a fish you have to go to where the fish are 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Yep, move in on them.  And don't cut your hunt short.  Hang in as long as you can.  Give the toms time to play the "follow the hen" game.  When the the hens get tired of the toms the toms break off and go on the prowl.  This is when they let their guard down and make a move on that horrible sounding hen in the distance.  I just about never hunt birds off the roost.  I can't compete with the real hens and would much rather go at it when I know the toms are on their own looking for their next victim.  Plus I can sleep in.   

Leave the blind for rainy days. Think outside the box, don't rely solely on decoys. Plan on being mobile in the morning, and sitting a while if you hunt in the afternoon. Don't expect birds to gobble all the time, sometimes you have to ambush them. Good luck to you!

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook: