I read this on the 58th page of the 2016/2017 NJ Hunting and Trapping Digest:

Artificial decoys may be used while turkey hunting,

except the use of electronically-operated

decoys is prohibited. Dogs may be used for turkey

hunting only during the fall season. All hunters

are required to possess a calling device while

turkey hunting. The use of a hand-held decoy or a

turkey tail-on-a-stick as camouflage to sneak up on

a turkey is prohibited. Stalking a turkey is illegal.

WHAT???

in the fall you can use dogs to scatter the flock then you and the dog sit right where the dog scattered them and call them back together. usually you have some type of camo to put over dog while calling them back

Edited by rgw

in the fall you can use dogs to scatter the flock then you and the dog sit right where the dog scattered them and call them back together. usually you have some type of camo to put over dog while calling them back

And I guess the reason is to get a shot at one bird without hitting anything else?

There are some YouTube videos of people doing this. You technically don't need dogs, I guess. If you find a flock of birds, just run right at them and scare the crap out of them! You need to get them to scatter in all directions (if they all go in the same direction, you're screwed and you need to go find them again :) That's why dogs are good - they are fast and can easily get the birds going in all different directions.

Once scattered, you sit tight. You'll start hearing them kee-kee calling to each other and they will try to regroup near the spot they were separated. Pick off the first one to come back :D

And I guess the reason is to get a shot at one bird without hitting anything else?

Oh, as for why? I have no idea! If it were me, and I see a flock of birds, I'm taking aim at the first one that steps away from his buddies :D

I guess if you are walking around and you see a flock that's 100 yards away, you can do this. Release the dogs (or you run right at them) and scatter them. That way you can get in position without trying to call them in from 100 yards out. I guess the idea is it is hard to call in a flock of birds in the fall - this way you can get to a position where you know the birds are going to come back. You can call them after scattering - I believe this is where the kee-kee is used.

A standard fall strategy is to find a flock and then bust them up.  They want to get back together so sit tight for a few minutes then start calling.  The scattered flock will come back looking for the rest of the flock.  

I own a turkey dog, a dropper I named Maizy, she's going to be 3 this December, trained her myself. So far, we've been involved in about 15 kills in various states, some were birds I shot, others were birds I called in for other guys.

We walk the woods where we know birds are, she wears a GPS collar. Once she scents or gets a visual on a flock, she rushes them, and barks and scatters them until they are all off of the ground. A GOOD dog will bark on the break. Then we sit at the scatter site, I cover her with a camo blanket, and we sit and call. If everything works right, a bird will get duped into coming close enough to get shot. Hens & poults want to get back together much faster than gobbler groups do.

Here is a picture of us with a bird we killed in PA. If anyone would like to hunt with us some time, just let me know, maybe we can work something out. Also, if you want to know anything about turkey dogs, go to the AWTHDA site, I've hunted with the website owner, he's a good guy. :up: http://www.turkeydog.org/

15230820_611011802432328_367071251852165

14524364_587846161415559_393920298045859

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

I own a turkey dog, a dropper I named Maizy, she's going to be 3 this December, trained her myself. So far, we've been involved in about 15 kills in various states, some were birds I shot, others were birds I called in for other guys.

We walk the woods where we know birds are, she wears a GPS collar. Once she scents or gets a visual on a flock, she rushes them, and barks and scatters them until they are all off of the ground. A GOOD dog will bark on the break. Then we sit at the scatter site, I cover her with a camo blanket, and we sit and call. If everything works right, a bird will get duped into coming close enough to get shot. Hens & poults want to get back together much faster than gobbler groups do.

Here is a picture of us with a bird we killed in PA. If anyone would like to hunt with us some time, just let me know, maybe we can work something out. Also, if you want to know anything about turkey dogs, go to the AWTHDA site, I've hunted with the website owner, he's a good guy. :up: http://www.turkeydog.org/

15230820_611011802432328_367071251852165

14524364_587846161415559_393920298045859

Cool but if you and I are going to hunt together you will have to shave:-)

I read this on the 58th page of the 2016/2017 NJ Hunting and Trapping Digest:

Artificial decoys may be used while turkey hunting,

hunting only during the fall season. Stalking a turkey is illegal.

WHAT???

What is wrong with using REAL DECOYS Never saw an Artificial one or Makebelieve one  :headscratch:

Stalking a turkey is Illegal  :rant: So walking up on one could be considered Stalking  :rofl:   Ever wonder who composes the Regulations   :banghead:

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif