IGNORED

Tips for a New Hunter

Rusty

Hypothetically speaking, let's say that there's a new member that has never hunted before.  What tips or advice might you give her?  Yes, for simplicity sake, let's pretend it's a her, and again to simplify things, let's pretend that she lives in Sussex County.  And just to make it seem more real, let's call her Kate.   :D

I'd start by showing her all the places that she could hunt.

http://njfishandwildlife.com/huntland.htm

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 6.27.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 6.31.36 AM.png

Edited by Rusty

Suppose it is possible to do it on your own but it would be very difficult so I would say get a mentor to help you. I started with a coworker, female as well, 3 years ago and it was a long but very rewarding road. None of you understand the knowledge you have until you get a newbie with questions that you couldn’t even conceive as not being a common knowledge. There is so much to it we take for granted until you have to explain it all.  
She was fortunate to take a doe with a s.gun on her firs hunt, (I was with here in the stand and I was pumped like I shot a huge ten pointer), and since, in two hunting seasons, she took 5 deer including 50 yard cross bow kill and a small buck with a cross bow. She now gets to her stand on her own in pitch dark and the only problem is she is having difficulties with gutting the animal... she makes a huge mess but part of the problem is that she is small and it is very difficult for her to handle a deer.

Edited by Lunatic

Practice. You're never as good as you think you are. Also, practice under live conditions. From a treestand. With a hat on. With your coat on. With gloves on. From various distances.

Run some sprints or go for a jog and then shoot while your heart is pounding so you learn what buck fever feels like. Learn some breathing exercises to control your mind and body so you can calm yourself and make a good shot.

Buy a rangefinder. The woods are misleading and the shot is always farther away than you think it is.

Stay off njh

What type of hunting is this hypothetical person looking to do? Deer, turkey, small game, waterfowl, etc?

For any type of hunting, deer especially, a mentor would definitely be the way to go. However anything can be learned on your own, it just might take a lifetime. Then again, even the most seasoned hunter should still be open minded and observant enough to learn something every day spent afield.

My generic advice for all hunting is to really slow down and look around and take everything in. Most people rush rush rush in their day to day life, but going super slow and analyzing everything like a detective is the name of the game for hunting. Just slow way down and enjoy taking it all in. Like a little kid seeing something for the first time, really soak it all in.

I would also say, don't get all wrapped up in equipment. A good, accurate weapon that you shoot confidently is the only piece of gear you must have. Everything else is just icing. You don't need scent-proof clothes or sprays, you don't need scents, the newest camo pattern or the latest and greatest calls, decoys, blinds or stands. Sure some of those things will help your odds but none can truly overcome a lack of scouting. You simply need to know the animals. What do they eat and where is that food found? Where do they drink? Where do they sleep and when and why? When do they breed? What are their patterns? Once you figure that out, you're there, game on.

Another thing I believe is to always trust your gut instinct.

Finally, be safe and always make sure you're having fun. If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong.

Obviously there's a lot more to hunting than what we can write here, but I think this advice and the advice from others will put you on the right path.

Good luck "Hypothetical Kate"

(Rusty if you wanted to learn how to hunt, you could have just asked me. You didn't have to make up a fake story. :rofl: )

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Enjoy every aspect of the hunting experience.  Some of your most enjoyable and memorable hunts will not involve shooting an animal.

Anticipation and preparation are a huge part of the experience,  enjoy it.

Camaraderie with fellow hunters is a wonderful part of what we do.

Just sitting quietly for hours in the woods and watching nature do its thing is something nonhunters never get to experience.