• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

public land tactics

31 replies to this topic

#21 Male OFFLINE   stiks

stiks

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 08:27 PM

public land can be great, tough after 6 day and even tougher in zones that have unlimitted sg/ml days. I found some of the best hunting on public land. I go deep and less than 100yrds from main rds. It usually works best for me when I pattern the hunters in the area, the deer seem to pattern them. Some places where guy's go deep in I stay on fringes places where they stay close to roads or fire cuts I may go towards bedding areas and swamp edges
Redneck's Pride staffer
Have climber will travel

#22 OFFLINE   bill43

bill43

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 08:47 PM

o check areas that just dont look like good hunting. Those areas seem to get way les pressure.

I do this also. Find the areas other guys aren't hunting. Doesn't matter how good an area,is if it is getting to much pressure. It's going to make it tough.
Sometimes the areas that all the other guys drive past when going in deep can pay off too

#23 OFFLINE   _X7

_X7

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 10:47 PM

I do this also. Find the areas other guys aren't hunting. Doesn't matter how good an area,is if it is getting to much pressure. It's going to make it tough.
Sometimes the areas that all the other guys drive past when going in deep can pay off too

So many "too open" places are overlooked. It doesn't take much for deer to hide and go unnoticed. Anyone who has hunted Kansas could attest to that. Fence rows and small patches of cover are alive with deer more so than pressured open woods.

#24 OFFLINE   hunterdan199

hunterdan199

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 11:27 PM

Public Land equals LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK..........

#25 Male OFFLINE   Stevo

Stevo

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02/05/13 - 05:29 AM

OK here is the secret to public land hunting. DO NOT study the Deer but study the other hunters that consistently hunt there. The more the better. They wil do all the work for you. The more they are there the better it is for you. Deer will avoid them. You can find places the Deer are going TO avoid them and it is usually an area that shows no sign at all. AND it is usually not far from a road. You want to be able to sneak in quick undetected and early before the others get there. My best public land spot I could see my truck from my stand. I could smell the burgers cooking at Mulligans Tavern. The Deer would stage there until it got dark then move out to the numerous baitpiles guys were sitting on. I killed my 2 biggest Bucks from that spot. I always stopped at the parking area on my way home to BS with the other hunters. Recon baby lol.
Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

#26 Male OFFLINE   themadgreek

themadgreek

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02/05/13 - 09:28 AM

I hunt public since i don't know anyone with private. I'd say its finding some traveling paths and feeding spots. Then baiting around there
Mr. 300

#27 OFFLINE   birdshotnj

birdshotnj

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02/05/13 - 09:35 AM

I walk to the areas that everyone else is too lazy to walk to

#28 OFFLINE   Maximus

Maximus

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02/06/13 - 07:22 PM

It takes some work, first you need to find out where all the hunters are,how they travel to their stands and when their not in stand. I mark all this stuff on a map then try to figure out "if I was a buck how would I avoid these guys" One public spot I have the deer move before first light then again around 10:30am, seems the few hunters there are all out of stand by 9:30am. Kind of a hide in plain sight deal. BTW, there's alot of open space in NJ people don't know about, many farmers who lease the fields from the state for agriculture post the property BUT they don't lease the whole block and other than the fields it's public hunting land. One of my best spots came from alot of legwork but has turned out to be oh so worth it and yes...it's public

#29 OFFLINE   Waterbird17

Waterbird17

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02/06/13 - 07:39 PM

bait and wait

#30 Male OFFLINE   MackofallTrades

MackofallTrades

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02/23/13 - 03:02 PM

Either hunt really deep, or hunt the parking lot!

For some reason, the parking lots always have deer in them when you are either pulling in or walking back to the vehicle...

- Mack

#31 Male OFFLINE   Gruntmaster

Gruntmaster

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 02/23/13 - 04:18 PM

Use to hunt the gap years ago, the trick there was to get in very early, and very deep.
Sometimes it would take me a hour or better to get to my spot depending on ground conditions.
Most guys hunt in the first 1000 yards or less from the road.
Number one tactic is plenty of pre season scouting.

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.

#32 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02/23/13 - 04:53 PM

I agree with Gruntmaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users