• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

public land tactics

31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lost9340

lost9340

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 12:03 AM

whats your favorite tactics when hunting on public land?
I like to see what everyone else is doing and use other hunters to my advantage like from there pressure i hunt the funnels the deer use to escape to safety or do the exact opposite of what everyone else does like when everyone hunts deep in the woods ill hunt right up close by the road.

#2 Male OFFLINE   Woodrufflou

Woodrufflou

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 12:07 AM

Get in deep.......very deep

#3 OFFLINE   Jim

Jim

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 04:53 PM

I have to agree. Your both right. Every situation is different. Deep in a swamp is always good on public land, but sometimes with the pressure from others it keep the deer on the edge

#4 Male ONLINE   BHC

BHC

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 04:59 PM

get in early, get in deep, stay all-day

#5 Male OFFLINE   robnj

robnj

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 05:47 PM

transfer all sign you find to google earth rubs, scrapes ect. compare to the terrain and try to find a pattern of deer use. I also check areas that just dont look like good hunting. Those areas seem to get way les pressure.

#6 Male OFFLINE   Woodrufflou

Woodrufflou

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 05:57 PM

Good idea Rob. I like that google earth tactic :thumb_up:

#7 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 01/30/13 - 06:20 PM

Still/Stalk hunt on Public land.. If i'm gong to sit, I go shallow early in the season and then deeper and deeper as it progresses...:thumb_up:

#8 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 08:10 AM

I can honestly say I simply go where the animals are. lol

Sometimes that's 10ft off the road, sometimes it's over a mile in, or somewhere in between. I always try to narrow an area down to the best potential spots on aerial maps before I set foot in the woods to scout. After each scouting mission I come back to the maps and try to understand why animals are doing what they are doing. Where the best ambush points would be, entry/exit routes to least impact the area. I also pay attention to the predicted wind directions and what they are actually doing. Very hilly in most the places I hunt and that often causes winds to do anything but what they are supposed to, unless you hunt high on the hilltops or understand how it's flowing through the terrain the wind in these areas can be downright frustrating.

If it's in season I will utilize the same method but sometimes carry in my gear for a hunt. I've scored some nice deer by going in the first time to a funnel or inside corner, etc that I've located on a map.

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#9 OFFLINE   Rutting Buck

Rutting Buck

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 06:12 PM

I have to agree with Jim the deep swamp is my favorite spot. I hunt private and public in zone 5. I walk the swamp and look to see where the deer are entering and exiting the swamp. Then I try to set myself up on one of these or I will hunt the fields in the evenings in the early season.

#10 OFFLINE   johnnyo8148

johnnyo8148

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 12:09 AM

I usually just put up a sign in/out sheet so I know when the deer are coming and going...saves on scouting. it really depends on a host of different situations. The piece I hunt in z23 is probably the worst as far as deer hunting is concerned to a lot of hunters...not very deep and has only a very small swamp on one side. But if I can get there at a certain time of day, the deer are right out in the open. When I hunt z35, I stay 20 yards off the field's edge because the deer skirt the edge of the field at the end of the day. My point here is that I rarely go deep, but will make the change if the pressure warrants.

#11 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 12:53 AM

ive tried public land to many guys to little deer i.m.o thats why im on municipal property now

#12 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 07:47 AM

Bedding areas and clusters of rubs. I tend to think bucks rub after getting out of their beds and just before they bed down. These areas often have clustered rubs instead of the tradition rub lines. Deer move less with presssure so locating bedding areas is key to me.

#13 OFFLINE   Squeeze

Squeeze

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 07:55 AM

Deerslayer01..Did you tell your buddy "bet you cant shoot this apple out of my hand"???
WOW!! haha that photo is just disturbing...

#14 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 08:18 AM

:cupcoffee:.....Bagging deer on public property is a little more challenging this time of year but, for those of us who know how to hunt, as long as the deer are there, we’ll find’um and take’um..

#15 OFFLINE   IanB21

IanB21

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 09:03 AM

get as far in as you can... "thats what she said" lol i hunt state forest in PA and everyone hunts within a mile of the road, but we walk literally 2.2 miles back. its paid off several times
HVAC Solutions Heating & Cooling https://www.facebook...olutionsforHVAC

#16 Male ONLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 09:15 AM

I use the same Google Earth technique as noted above. I turn my GPS on in the parking lot and then walk around with it running. I'll mark spots on the GPS and take notes in a small notebook. Photos with GPS tagging helps too. When I get out of the woods I can attach the GPS to the computer and Google Earth will load all of the data. It's interesting to walk around for 3 hours and look on Google Earth to see where you were. Occasionally I'll find a trail or a better way to my spot by doing that.

#17 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 07:38 PM

just look for places that are a little more remote and tougher to get into . and I always try to be near water
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

#18 OFFLINE   hunterdan199

hunterdan199

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 07:42 PM

public land is LUCK LUCK LUCK...........

#19 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 08:04 PM

Who told Axiom about this site? :banghead:

But in all seriousness, the public land by me is all big woods. The best tactics here involve hunting the funnels. Topo maps and fresh snow are your best friends for finding the spots that concentrate consistent deer movement to and from bedding areas in the mornings and evenings.

#20 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 08:06 PM

Dan dont sell public land short, there are ALOT more bucks killed on public land than many want to believe.
My avatar buck was shot on public land , and I hunted him three years before shooting him , state aged him at 7 1/2
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users