• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Anyone need a deer head?

73 replies to this topic

#21 Male ONLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 03:23 PM

Yes but there are tons of mounts on ebay for sale. No question, they are selling them, even if the antlers in my example are not real. We are talking about a head any way so it applies very nicely.
I am now not sure I know what the law is? I always believed if the taxidermist worked on it then it is legal to buy/sell ....now I don't know

Many other states allow the sale of antlers.. but in NJ you can not buy or sell deer antlers. In NJ you can not sell anything indigenous to NJ except fur bearers other than bears.

Illegal to sell in nj:
Turkey
Bear
Deer (other than back hide, or lower legs)

COUNTRYWIDE: migratory birds unless proof of farm raised

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#22 Male ONLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 03:24 PM

99 year lease, nuf said

Until it comes time to fight itnjn court and you lose everything you ever worked for paying lawyer fees to fight for your rights... dangerous loophole to make a louse few hundred dollars.

#23 Male OFFLINE   mazzgolf

mazzgolf

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 03:39 PM

This is easy to solve (or at least make better) - require a deposit, ALWAYS AND NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are good at what you do (and based on the pix over the years, Jay, you seem to do great work) then people won't scoff at it and would be willing to pay it.

If they REFUSE to give a deposit, that alone should tell you something and be happy you didn't do business with them anyway.

If someone gives a deposit, it also gives them more incentive to pay up the rest. Otherwise, without a deposit, you are just letting these people go "I'll give it to Jay to mount, if I can pay for it later, great. If not, no biggie, I'm not out any cash."

Minimum 25% deposit for a repeat customer. First time customer, 50%. That would be my rule. And no exceptions, I don't care if you are the brother of a sister of a really good friend "whose good for it, I can vouch for him, I promise".  :rofl:

This is now your full time business, right Jay?  No longer a side project as it once was? If this is now your livelihood, consider yourself a professional now and any professional should be able to ask for a deposit before starting work. And any rational person would/should not have a problem with it. If they have a problem with it, then they are already thinking ahead of how they can stiff you if they can't scrape up the money later.

#24 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 03:53 PM

Many other states allow the sale of antlers.. but in NJ you can not buy or sell deer antlers. In NJ you can not sell anything indigenous to NJ except fur bearers other than bears.

Illegal to sell in nj:
Turkey
Bear
Deer (other than back hide, or lower legs)

COUNTRYWIDE: migratory birds unless proof of farm raised

Thanks for the info

#25 Male OFFLINE   Silver Belly62

Silver Belly62

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 04:03 PM

Minimum 25% deposit for a repeat customer. First time customer, 50%. That would be my rule. And no exceptions, I don't care if you are the brother of a sister of a really good friend "whose good for it, I can vouch for him, I promise".  :rofl:

At least that

Edited by Silver Belly62, 04/20/17 - 04:04 PM.

#26 Male ONLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 04:19 PM

Hard part is all my deposits come in in the 4th quaternary of the year.. so I need to pay income taxes on deposits (money that is for tanning costs and materials that I don't spend until the 1st or 2nd quarter of the following year) so if I take it all in in the fall, I need to claim it and pay income taxes on it (25%) which makes things very tight when tanning bills come in and a years worth of materials need to be purchased... so it's nice to have those few clients that pay when it's all done, cause all the materials are paid for, it's all mine (-25% income tax)

I know it's dumb, but its feels better getring the whole lump at the end lol. And some customers paying full up front, so it balances out (as long as everyone picks up in a timely fashion- which isn't always the case)

I like when my bulk income comes in the same qtr I have most of my expenses-but it never works out that way lol.

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy, 04/20/17 - 04:21 PM.

#27 Male ONLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 04:24 PM

We have a rule in our business not to do any work without being paid our expenses first.  No exceptions.  Our final billing is our profits, but we can never get screwed out of airfare, hotels, meals, excavator operator hourly rate, or machine rental, diesel or car rentals that way.  

#28 Male OFFLINE   Tarhunt

Tarhunt

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 04:37 PM

I feel for you Jay. I've been self employed for over 22 years and the best advice that I can give you is to get deposits before any work is done.

• Agree x 1
  • List

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

#29 Male OFFLINE   Stan Putz

Stan Putz

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 05:13 PM

Well, since you were in the business I have a question. What happens to all the skins from the butchered deer. is there a market for them? Are you allowed to sell them?

Yes, you can sell the hides, same as you would if you are a trapper. When I started the business (around 1985), hides were going for around $3 each (if not rubbed). I'd freeze them, and when I got about 50 or so I'd run them to the fur buyer, he told me they wind up in China where they make gloves out of the leather. They got as high as $7 around 1998 or 1999, then when the dot.com/Wall Street crash came around 2001, they went to about $2; I started throwing them in the trash at that point. I gave it all up around 2005, not sure what deer hides are worth now.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

#30 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 05:26 PM

Yes, you can sell the hides, same as you would if you are a trapper. When I started the business (around 1985), hides were going for around $3 each (if not rubbed). I'd freeze them, and when I got about 50 or so I'd run them to the fur buyer, he told me they wind up in China where they make gloves out of the leather. They got as high as $7 around 1998 or 1999, then when the dot.com/Wall Street crash came around 2001, they went to about $2; I started throwing them in the trash at that point. I gave it all up around 2005, not sure what deer hides are worth now.

Thank you

#31 Male OFFLINE   3 Blade

3 Blade

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 05:29 PM

As a self employed contractor, I always get a deposit. If they have an issue with that, I do not want them as a customer!  Can you at least write off those losses?

Edited by 3 Blade, 04/20/17 - 05:30 PM.

#32 Male OFFLINE   JimmyScags

JimmyScags

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 06:13 PM

Yeah it sucks brother, I've been beat a few times buying equipment without a deposit. They don't care that you go in the hole so I don't order anything without a deposit anymore.
I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

#33 OFFLINE   Rdfhunter

Rdfhunter

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 06:21 PM

I've been stuck with numerous things over the years..
"Gunnyfern" screwed me with a half life size fox my first year in business. No deposit. I'm out a several hundred dollars in materials , tanning. Shipping, a base, and labor
"Drenal" screwed me out of a 2 sided crappie reproduction on a table pedestal. . No deposit.. I'm out a few hundred dollars in materials and a days labor.. funny thing- decided on the extra cost to paint both sides -thanks.. like I needed to waste more hours for something he didn't even want to pay for.
I got beat out of a fox squirrel. No deposit..
I've been beat out of a bear rug -small deposit -guy got locked up.. never heard back from him
Pheasants are notorious .. got stuck with a few of them.. never a nice one either.. always something shot up with a 8" tail.
Got a rack here that I've had since 2008 I believe.. guy says he wants it as our last year's email.(yeah right) I gave his tanned skin to someone else who needed it.
I got a hen wood duck I just finished in feb. Guy must have died cause he went from "I'll be there this weekend " to a ghost... no response... can't sell migratory birds-federal law. I guess I have something else for my decor.
That's just the crap off the top of my head.. I have dozens of mounts on display at numerous sports shops -all donated cause I can't sell, and I can't keep in my way forever..
I could have bought a new quad if all the guys who screwed me in the past 11 years would come pay up. Every one of them just dissappear and ignore me.. no balls.
I still contact a few from time to time just to hopefully get an apology--- nothing.. straight to voice mail (which is always full) or a Facebook comment that gets ignored .
Worst part is at the end of the month, I gotta take a loss out of my pocket to cover others expenses. A simple phone call to cancel a mount is way better than letting me complete it then never calling me back.

Wasnt somebody gonna pay for the deadbeat gunnyfern's fox ?

#34 Male ONLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 06:33 PM

As a self employed contractor, I always get a deposit. If they have an issue with that, I do not want them as a customer! Can you at least write off those losses?

Idk.. I write off the materials-but Idk if you can do the lost labor..

#35 Male ONLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 06:37 PM

Wasnt somebody gonna pay for the deadbeat gunnyfern's fox ?

Who knows. He was my 1st paying customer 11 years ago. His fox came out beautiful, it's hanging in a sports shop now with my logo under it.

I was young and excited for a customer lol. He gave me some bs line how it was going to be displayed on the counter at a sports shop where he worked, so b I cut him a decent deal on it..

Then I heard he got deathly sick-and I stopped bothering to call him figuring he was not doing well...
Now I see on Facebook he travels all over the place taking photos of wildlife.. I think he has the health and $500 he owed me for the mount. I heard from so many he was a stand up guy- not in my book. He could have made it right for 11 years now and still not even an apology.

• Like x 1
  • List

#36 Male OFFLINE   Shootemthenmountem

Shootemthenmountem

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 06:42 PM

Ohhh let's not forget that prick "pigman"...
I did an artificial European skull on a deer he shot here in NJ.
I picked it up from him, no deposit, mounted, shipped to TX for him, never got paid. He owed me like $140 -150
Phone number goes to one of his personal assistants and I could never get in contact with him. After a dozen calls one guy finally said skull arrived broke in half.. (it's a resin skull. .. they do not break in half)

Anyway- all his money and fame and he had to beat me out of a lousy $150.

He ended up getting his Jay....don't wish that on anyone....just saying

#37 Male OFFLINE   Deadeye

Deadeye

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 07:05 PM

Maybe I can help the ledger if you finish my wigeon early? :)

#38 Male OFFLINE   Oneday121o

Oneday121o

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 07:19 PM

Would consider it for a cheaper price lol, my taxidermist does shoulder mounts for cheaper than that and good one too lol!!! Capes are provided free by most taxidermist.

Edited by Oneday121o, 04/20/17 - 07:28 PM.

#39 Male OFFLINE   Oneday121o

Oneday121o

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 07:23 PM

njtaxidermy.com in case you are questioning the quality. He does excellent mounts. I have 5 with him so far and I am very picky and I have been very happy. I think you went to class with him lol. You do excellent work too...must of been a good class.

Edited by Oneday121o, 04/20/17 - 07:39 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   rocky

rocky

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 04/20/17 - 07:26 PM

Would consider it for a cheaper price lol, my taxidermist does shoulder mounts for cheaper than that and good one too lol!!!

Seriously?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users