IGNORED

Are we blessed?

JHbowhunter

Axiom, how many times does someone go see a Broadway Play? You're absolutely right on that one. I am more a fan of the Metropolitan Opera House. Pardon me, could you please pass me the Grey Poupon?

Checkout the prices at this opera house they are insane tax included lol

1938Dracula_by_Hamilton_Deane_&_John_L._Balderston_1938.jpg

Well, to answer Jack's question.......Almost 12 years ago I was involved in a near fatal head on crash. Prognosis was poor/grim for any type of recovery. 2 weeks in a medically induced coma. My youngest of 3 kids was just born 2 months prior to the crash. Made it out of my coma, hospital bed, wheelchair, crutches, then to a cane, to eventually walking on my own to being back to work without any issues.

Each and every time I am able to share just 1 second in the woods with my family and friends I feel blessed. Blessed for the opportunity to not only be HERE, but to be able to once again share with my kids everything that I loved since I was a child. To watch the excitement in my children's eyes when they took their 1st bird, fish, or deer has been priceless.

So......Blessed??  Absolutely!

i feel like we pay a lot for stamps, permits and the license to be so blessed. i cringe every year when buying the all around license cause it seems its a lot of $$ just to get to buy the permits to do the stuff you really want to do. 

In all due respect do you have any interests outside of Hunting and fishing? That you get the same benefits and it is free.  I think not. 

Divide the cost over the time enjoyed afield.    ;)

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

In all due respect do you have any interests outside of Hunting and fishing? That you get the same benefits and it is free.  I think not. 

Divide the cost over the time enjoyed afield.    ;)

Well yes but we are milked to death in this state and that's a fact. It isn't just the fees for hunting and fishing, which BTW are very high compering to PA for example, but it is the accumulative effect of paying and paying and paying. From property taxes, to pointless annual registration of your cars, boats and trailers, to sales tax, fees for just improving your property, and even exit tax if you dare to move out.

Maybe this is not a place to talk about this since this is a very positive thread about diversity of wildlife we get to enjoy in this state but the sad reality is most of us will be eventually forced to move out.  

I've told may people to leave if they don't like it here.  I can't stand when people complain about where they live.  Just leave if you don't like it.

Raritan Bay is one of the best places to fish anywhere, and I'v been all over.

If you can't shoot a deer here you should find something else to do.

Agree with Jack.

Hunting and fishing are the cheapest hobbies bar none. If you think you spend a lot of money on stamps and permits, think about your cell phone and cable bill for a while.

Well, if you consider watching TV and talking ion your cell a hobby then you have a point.

You really believe that? How about bird watching :-) I think hunting and fishing is one of the most expensive hobbies when it comes to having to pay a fee to participate because most hobbies require no permits, stamps ETC

Edited by Lunatic

It's hard to believe that I am off the coast of NJ when my brother in law takes me offshore. I can't wait to retire and move to Florida, but I will have a residence up here to enjoy much better hunting than down there. Like many have said, we complain a lot but we do have a lot to be thankful for.

Edited by Lphunsjr

I've told may people to leave if they don't like it here.  I can't stand when people complain about where they live.  Just leave if you don't like it.

Unfortunately it's not that simple for some of us. I have an "anchor parent", she's too old to just uproot and take her away from the only area she's ever lived in. And I'm not going to leave her at this point, so I'm basically stuck here for awhile longer.

I agree with what JH and others have stated about the diversity available, and some of it is downright awesome.

I try to avoid cities, so there's no appeal there. Not a big fan of what the coast and offshore have to offer.

A big part for most of us is family and friends. Those of us that can share the outdoors, and everyday life, with good friends and family, makes it easier to stay and be content here. Myself, 90% of my family and friends don't live in NJ anymore, so, when I'm able, I will pay my exit tax and go.

without me, my rifle is nothing

I can't wait to have grandchildren, so I can do all that stuff with them that I did with my sons ... all a short drive away,  I'm staying .... as is the rest of my extended family.

Don't let the door hit ya' in the rear end, folks. :) 

There is no "exit tax."

There is no "exit tax."

Yes there is on your house

Nope. It is just a withholding ​.... an estimated payment ..... against excess capitol gains on the sale of your home. If you don't owe it, you get it refunded when you file your taxes. If you don't pay it on your federal taxes, you won't pay it on your state taxes.

NJ started this some years back because some people were selling their home, leaving the state, and not filing their NJ-1040 at the end of the year.