IGNORED

an AR is in my budget

Kype

mainly looking at a ruger or smith and wesson AR. gonna go shopping tomorrrow. does any one have experience in any of these two brands for ARs? the ruger and smith are the price im looking at. msrp is about $700. just seeing what your thoughts are on these. if you have both or shot both, whats your preference? thanks

Garys bow shack in stroudsberg ruger556 $569

Cabelas is 699

In 700 range you have the bushmaster qrc,ruger 556,smith mp sport,dpms oracle,del ton, windham weaponry, anderson so ypu have options. In that range your going to end up with prettymuch the same options across the board. M4 style with fixed front sight and rear flat top or flat top optic ready, glacier guards, no frill trigger etc. I have 2 dpms, 1 556, 1 308 and have no complaints. The 556 i got cheap and put almost 800 into it. I also have mp15 T and its good also. If you can get a 1/8 or 1/7 barrel you can shoot heavier bullets if your gonna plink and use it as a fun gun 1/9 and a few thousand rnds of 55gr ball will do. No matter what you get you can improve a little at a time thats whats nice about them. Good luck!

I have a S&W Sport Upper has forward assist no dust cover paired with a Anderson Lower shoots great cost me 350 for the upper and 210 for the lower put a UTG Sniper Grip and a Magpul M Loc Forend and a AR223 Scope it's a kickass rifle and pretty accurate and Tons of fun to shoot.

Tanners Sporting Goods in Jamison offers all kinds of deals.. they post them on Facebook.

Best place around. Great Service.

http://www.facebook.com/TannersSportCenter/

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

You might want to look at the 22 Nosler I bought a AR Stoner upper from Midway for 399  and built an Aero lower for for just over100  it's an awsome Predator rifle and it's also a  super accurate long range round that out performs the 223 by quite abit. Factory Ammo is a little expensive but if you reload it's very resonable after you fire the factory ammo

Don't worry about dust cover or forward assist. Unless your in competition or in law enforcement those are a couple things you'll never use. I have guns with and without and it makes no difference. Don't let those factors influence a purchase. Get the one that feels good in YOUR hands.

My buddy picked up a ruger556 and it was junk.  It had major feeding problems and is now back at Ruger getting worked on.  Do yourself a favor and read the reviews on the Ruger, not the online magazine reviews that people are paid to write, but the real people reviews.  Check the forums.  The issue my buddy had was had by many.   

Edited by B B

My buddy picked up a ruger556 and it was junk.  It had major feeding problems and is now back at Ruger getting worked on.  Do yourself a favor and read the reviews on the Ruger, not the online magazine reviews that people are paid to write, but the real people reviews.  Check the forums.  The issue my buddy had was had by many.

was this an SR556 or the new 556? The sr had tons of feed and eject issues with its adjustable gas system. When you buy these guns you need to strip them and scrub the hell out of them! My dpms 308 had would not close the bolt all the way all the time until i got a brush and some solvent in the bolt carrier, it was loaded with the same packing greasw the rest of the gun was. Buying a $700 gun and expecting it to be on par with your buddys JP or seekins wont happen but you are getting a great platform that with some $ will match or be dam close

Not the SR.  It's the Ruger556.

I know the R556's sell like hotcakes and majority probably work fine, but the bottom line with AR's is you get what you pay for.  You should be able to take an AR out of the box and go to town with no hiccups (certainly don't advise to). It's a simple gun made to go bang every time you pull the trigger.  The only thing that should stop an AR from performing is human error.  JMHO

Edited by B B

muzzle break, forward assist, dust cover, 1/9 twist, .223/5.56. iron sights, back sight flips up and down. forarm has heat shields to absorb heat.

firearm came with its own rifle case, which i was surprised by. lock, sticker, 2 sling mounts bottle opener etc....

looking forward to getting a few rounds down range