• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Tick Twister Tool

42 replies to this topic

#21 Male OFFLINE   Jerseybassnbow

Jerseybassnbow

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05/09/17 - 09:10 PM

Do you spray Permetherin on your dogs even though we give them advantix?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Any Man Who Thinks He Can Be Happy and Prosperous By Letting the Government Take Care of Him Better Take A Closer Look at The American Indian! - Henry Ford

MOLON LABE

#22 Male OFFLINE   mazzgolf

mazzgolf

9 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 05/10/17 - 03:22 AM

My bottle of 36.8% permethrin as well as the 10% Martins has instructions for dogs. DO NOT USE ON CATS! I believe Permethrin is very bad to cats (and fish IIRC - so don't let run off go into streams or ponds or fish bowls/tanks)

"Do not use on dogs under 12 weeks old"

Check the label for more details - but the labeling has explicit instructions for use on dogs. When in doubt, talk to your vet before applying.

Here's the Martin's label - see around page 18 : http://www.domyownpe...in 10 Label.pdf

#23 Male OFFLINE   Jerseybassnbow

Jerseybassnbow

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 05/10/17 - 07:26 AM

I understand that but do use use it in addition to Advantix?

Any Man Who Thinks He Can Be Happy and Prosperous By Letting the Government Take Care of Him Better Take A Closer Look at The American Indian! - Henry Ford

MOLON LABE

#24 Male OFFLINE   BothBarrels

BothBarrels

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 05/10/17 - 08:04 AM

FWIW .... years ago, my breeder, who also is a vet that publishes through Virginia Tech U, told me to go ahead and use a Preventic collar, in addition to the topical I was using, when I told her that the tick situation was really bad.

#25 Male OFFLINE   Jerseybassnbow

Jerseybassnbow

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 05/10/17 - 08:05 AM

I give him the chewables.

Edited by Jerseybassnbow, 05/10/17 - 08:05 AM.

MOLON LABE

#26 Male OFFLINE   mazzgolf

mazzgolf

9 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 05/10/17 - 08:52 AM

I understand that but do use use it in addition to Advantix?

Best bet is to talk to your vet. But I just looked at the label of this Advantix - http://fleascience.c...Advantix-II.pdf - and it already has Permethrin (at 44%). So, to me, it doesn't make sense to combine the two. You'd be putting permethrin on your dog twice - I doubt a double dose is something you'd want to apply to a dog and it probably wouldn't help be more effective anyway. But, I only slept at a Holiday Inn last night so.... I'd talk to your vet.

• Like x 1
  • List

#27 Male OFFLINE   Jerseybassnbow

Jerseybassnbow

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 05/10/17 - 09:22 AM

Good advice.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MOLON LABE

#28 Male OFFLINE   BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 05/10/17 - 11:04 AM

I get that Martin's which is the 10% stuff and non-petroleum based - you mix 1 gallon of water with 7 oz of that and you get 0.52% solution - virtually the same percentage of permethrin (a little bit more actually) of the Sawyers stuff (which is 0.5%).

For the math-averse, just use a 19:1 water to permethrin ratio in any quantity you want to arrive at a perfect 0.5% solution.

You cant spray Sawyers on your dogs, you need to make a batch yourself diluted even further than 0.5%.  The 0.5% mix is for clothing.   

If you're going to spray it on your dogs, you need to dilute it down to 0.05% or TEN TIMES less powerful than store bought 0.5% Sawyers.   They say don't spray it on puppies or cats either.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

#29 Male OFFLINE   Nanuk

Nanuk

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 05/10/17 - 11:10 AM

Bought a couple of them and have them attached to several of my packs as well as in a first aid kit .
Off topic somewhat , does anyone use Adams Spray for Tick Replellant on the Pooches ???
Better to be Hated for You Who You Are , Then Liked for Who Your Not .....

#30 Male OFFLINE   BothBarrels

BothBarrels

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 05/16/17 - 08:44 AM

I was just re-reading the Advantix II pamphlet as I re-apply it to my dog. It states that it repels and kills ticks for up to ​four weeks.

It also states that in severe pest infestations, more frequent retreatment is allowable. But, not more than once every seven days.

I think I'm going to apply it to my dog every 3 weeks or so, during spring/summer/fall.

(BTW, I ordered it from Amazon yesterday at noon. Free same day shipping. It came about 8pm last night. Price as low as anyone. How does Amazon do it? I think they're going to take over the world! lol)

#31 Male OFFLINE   outdoorslife

outdoorslife

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 11:19 AM

Bought a couple of them and have them attached to several of my packs as well as in a first aid kit .
Off topic somewhat , does anyone use Adams Spray for Tick Replellant on the Pooches ???

I havnt used the Adams spray but heard good things about it. I just started using this along with the topical treatment. So far so good...

#32 Male ONLINE   Bill from NJ

Bill from NJ

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 11:27 AM

I have one of these and swear by it.

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B00CAQ7C8K

I took your advice.

Just ordered the 3 pack.

Thanks HH.

• Like x 1
  • List

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

#33 Male OFFLINE   BothBarrels

BothBarrels

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 05/18/17 - 11:42 AM

tick.jpg

I've been using this for many years on my dogs, and have been happy with it. But, I'll try something new.

I had Lyme Disease about 16 years ago. Before it was was easily diagnosed. Never saw the tick, never saw a rash. Evil, little bastards.

• Like x 1
  • List

#34 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 05/19/17 - 06:48 AM

I havnt used the Adams spray but heard good things about it. I just started using this along with the topical treatment. So far so good...

We just buy bottles of peppermint oil and rub the dogs down with it every couple of weeks. We put it in their dog shampoo too.  It seems to do the trick.  They say to put garlic in their food as well.   

Before the peppermint oil, we used to use frontline and whatever the other one was and it never did a damn thing. Both dogs still had ticks on them, fat and full of blood.     

I'm considering trying the bravecto pill for the dog I have now though.  For some reason, he is an absolute tick magnet.  My other dog almost never had a tick on him.  It was super rare. We'd maybe pull 2-3 off of him each year.  With this guy, we pull ticks off of him at least 2-3 times per week.  It's insane. 

• Like x 1
  • List

"that helpful a**hole"

#35 Male OFFLINE   Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06/29/17 - 12:12 PM

Sawyer spray I use and works great

Good stuff.  They have several different sprays so read the label before you buy.

#36 Male OFFLINE   Greybeard

Greybeard

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 06/29/17 - 05:46 PM

attachicon.giftick.jpg

I've been using this for many years on my dogs, and have been happy with it. But, I'll try something new.

I had Lyme Disease about 16 years ago. Before it was was easily diagnosed. Never saw the tick, never saw a rash. Evil, little bastards.

I use the same tool.  I also get the 10% permethrin from tractor supply.  It's petroleum based, but that's what you want to treat your clothes.  The petroleum base bonds better to clothing, and won't wash out as fast as water base when laundered.  I use 1oz in a 28oz spray bottle, and it's been working good. I'll spray clothes heavily about once a month, and just give them a mist touch-up after a few washes.  Most of my clothes will get washed after every hunt.  I also do my lawn with it.  According to the label, it is safe unless your lawn runs off directly into a waterway, then water base should be used.  I spray early in the spring when it's too cold for bees, and before the clover blossom, or it will destroy bee colonies.  I'll mist my boots each time I get out of the truck for a hike.  It doesn't do any harm since it can't soak through the boots to my skin.

#37 Male OFFLINE   Sticks n' Stones2

Sticks n' Stones2

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06/29/17 - 09:14 PM

They work, the idea is that the ticks get scared of having their pincers ripped off or something so they let go, we use them on our dog and ourselves if they've been there for awhile so they you don't get all that nasty stuff their carrying into the wound. Yeah they're worth the money.

#38 OFFLINE   madeinuk

madeinuk

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09/16/17 - 02:03 PM

Yes,  They work well.   Use to to get them off my dog all the time.

Ditto

#39 Male OFFLINE   Livesintrees

Livesintrees

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09/16/17 - 02:07 PM

Got a set in both cars

#40 OFFLINE   jerseyhunter

jerseyhunter

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09/16/17 - 02:22 PM

I  have one or used to have one similar to the one both Barrels posted minus the cup, they were free at either the Rockland or Edison show. Never squeeze, pinch or use heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users