IGNORED

Dog food options

I actually have been through them all. blue gave my dog stomach problems. I am now on Nutrish Chicken and Veggie. My GSP is now 8 ... Puppy food first. I will suggest, at the first vet visit, ask your vet. All the best!

. thats great advice .... I'm just trying to stay ahead of it ..

While their are a zillion reviews about both good and bad dog foods , based on results of my dogs living almost twice as long as their litter mates .

I found Old Roy foods ( which is as cheap as it gets ) to do very well for my dogs .

Both my Rotties and labs did way better on it than many of the higher end foods .

Dogs were super fit, Coates were shiny

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

While their are a zillion reviews about both good and bad dog foods , based on results of my dogs living almost twice as long as their litter mates .

I found Old Roy foods ( which is as cheap as it gets ) to do very well for my dogs .

Both my Rotties and labs did way better on it than many of the higher end foods .

Dogs were super fit, Coates were shiny

Lol, & that's the one brand every article agrees to stay away from ...

The Costco brand dog food is excellent for them and fairly priced. I would never give me dogs that pedigree crap!! I also make a stew of fresh carrots, pototatos, and any other veggies I have laying around mixed with deer meat, deer fat, bear meat, and any wild game I catch and don't care to eat but usually it is the scraps left over from butchering everything myself. Then once the large stew batch is made I pour a little in a bowl heat it up with water and mix it in food. My dogs are the healthiest and most lean/ muscular dogs you will ever see. All allergies went away on the two that I had and the most recent one never had allergies.

Old Roy Complete Nutrition is what we've fed our dogs for years,never had a problem with allergies and our dogs lived as old as 15-18 years. I have a 13 year healthy dog right now. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Of course, because it's cheap and it takes away from the expensive brands.

• 4 weeks later...

Although its only rated at 2.5 stars we switched from Blue Puppy to Purina ProPlan Sport All Life Stages 26/16 formula. If needed, as Remi's endurance increases along with her field time, we may switch to the 28/18 or 30/20 but that's down the road a ways. She may be just fine with what shes on now because the vet said that Labs hold onto fat and have a slow metabolism generally...I am no pro I need to look this up...

Purina ProPlan Sport is recommended by a lot of guys out west(Im sure its not just out west but I noticed many hunters/trainers from the Dakotas and Minnesota talking about it so I gave it a looksy) and from trainers who run dogs/hunt a lot more than I do.

Now the cool stuff directly from her food change...Remi's poop has been better(it wasn't that bad with blue) and her coat has much more shine since we switched, even though Blue is a more expensive grain free product.

Its so easy to go crazy over this stuff, I was getting there. Took a break, rethought some things/talked to others with more experience and went with the Purina ProPlan...been happy ever since. Now, I did hear about  "REGULAR PURINA" and never heard one good thing about that.

Edited by outdoorslife

. thats great advice .... I'm just trying to stay ahead of it ..

It is good to ask the vet, but realize that many vets know squat about nutrition. I ran a pet food supply for nine years and many vets recommend some awful stuff including that wally world ol roy. There is more nutition feeding the dog the empty bag then the actual food of ol roy. LOL Dogs are similar to people. What works for one dog will cause issues with another dog. The better nutrition the better odds of a healthy dog. Good luck with your choice.

Taste of the wild and solid gold are our 2 favorite commercial brands          

How does it taste?.. :rofl:  :rofl:

Personally, I think an animal should be fed its natural diet..  Feed it REAL MEAT!!

:D