IGNORED

types of .223 ammo to look at?

mazzgolf

I'm looking to get a .223 ("thou shalt not covet", but I can't help but look lustfully at a left-handed bolt-action Savage Model 11  :eyebrow: ) so now I have to learn about .223 ammo. Someone in another thread asked for where to get cheap .223, but when I looked at some of the links, some say they are full metal jacket, some say for "match", some say for "hunting", and I assume you can buy some with different bullet weights and such.

What do you look for when you buy .223? Do you buy whatever is the cheapest you can get? Or should I be particular about something based on how I am going to use the gun? I'm going to be target shooting, plinking but will also like to use this for groundhog hunting on some private property and for predator hunting. So buying cheap stuff is fine for plinking but for hunting, should I worry about buying something specific?

Note: I will not be reloading - just buying off-the-shelf.

I only use brass cases, ive had bad luck with steel wolf and my ejectors. Vmax or poly tip are great for varmint and predator and any quality less expensive ammo for plinking. Hornady makes 55gr soft point training ammo that is pretty cheap compared to others. Bullet depends on personal preference if you dont care how dirty or inconsistent they are then buy the cheapest you can find, but personally I dont go lower than pmc or magtech and IMO they are dirty rounds but shoot decent.

The two things you need to consider when picking ammo is Barrel twist and length. a 16 inch AR Barrel with a 1-9 twist may not be able to stabilize a 70 grain and over bullet. Same Barrel with a 1-7 will stabilize them just fine. A 22 inch Barrel with a 1-9 may stabilize them up to 80 plus grains. The best all around Barrel twist for a .223 is a 1-8. A friend of mine has a CZ 527 American with a 1-9 twist 22 inch Barrel and it would not stabilize 90 grain bullets.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

The two things you need to consider when picking ammo is Barrel twist and length. a 16 inch AR Barrel with a 1-9 twist may not be able to stabilize a 70 grain and over bullet. Same Barrel with a 1-7 will stabilize them just fine. A 22 inch Barrel with a 1-9 may stabilize them up to 80 plus grains. The best all around Barrel twist for a .223 is a 1-8. A friend of mine has a CZ 527 American with a 1-9 twist 22 inch Barrel and it would not stabilize 90 grain bullets.

The Savage 11 bolt-action models that I'm looking at are all 22" barrels with a 1:9 twist.

55gr is probably your best bet unless you want to do long range shooting in witch case you need to go to a heavier bullet. For Predator Hunting this year I had 62gr Soft Point and they were ok but I got my hands on some 55gr Soft Point and my particular Rifle liked them better (Rem 700 SPS Tactical 16 1/2" Barrel 1-9 twist) shooting much tighter groups. So I would get 55gr FMJ for target shooting and 55gr Soft Point or Hollow Point for Hunting  Under 100 yrds 62gr had close to the same point of impact but that would not hold true at further distances so I would zero with 55gr and stick with it and the 55gr works great out of an AR if you have one or plan to get one in the future

Hornady 55 gr steel match, soft point, American gunner have all shot well for me. I zeroed with the steel match then shot the others, they are all around the same speed and accurate. If you use cheap ball type Ammo remember ball Ammo only has to shoot 3" to 4" at a 100 yards.

Hornady American gunner at 100 yards, like I said it works for me.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg