• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Getting chicks today...

40 replies to this topic

#1 Male ONLINE   DeplorableDan

DeplorableDan

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 09:02 AM

I'm going to agway soon to buy 8 chicks 🐥. This will be my first time raising chickens, I have a big plastic container and brooder lamp. At agway I will buy the red heat bulb, pellet bedding, waterer, and feed. I plan to build a coop or buy a premade one soon and fence in a roosting area...I'm new to this so if anyone has any tips or good advice regarding habitat, different breeds, safety etc. feel free to share. The purpose of these chickens will be eggs, I do not plan on eating them.
  • Like x 1
  • List

#2 Male OFFLINE   RPK0620

RPK0620

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 09:09 AM

Well, that finally answer's the question for me:   The chicken came first ! 

• Funny x 3
  • Optimistic x 1
  • Winner x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • List

I thought, growing old would take longer !

#3 Male OFFLINE   rgw

rgw

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 09:15 AM

red stars are egg laying machine's, I also have Plymouth rocks that lay very well also. when you make your outdoor run lay chicken wire down on the grass and let grass grow through it this way they dont tare it up and turn it into dirt in a week. I also divided mine in half with wire fence this way I can let them use one side every other week allowing the grass to regrow on the other side not being used. I know I spoil my girls but a happy hen lays more eggs

Edited by rgw, 03/17/17 - 09:16 AM.

• Like x 2
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#4 OFFLINE   Nomad

Nomad

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 09:20 AM

We have had chickens for years.   My wife always buy young ones, but not chicks.  Then you can put them right into your pen.

• Like x 1
  • List

#5 Male OFFLINE   rgw

rgw

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 09:27 AM

I will get my new ones in 10 days or so.

Attached Images

• KIMG1341.jpg

• Like x 5
  • List

#6 Male ONLINE   DeplorableDan

DeplorableDan

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 09:34 AM

I will get my new ones in 10 days or so.

Yea I saw your post, that's really cool. I'll probably give hatching a try next year

#7 Male OFFLINE   newjerseyhunter

newjerseyhunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 09:44 AM

Where are you going to keep the chicks... in the house? What are you going to use for bedding? I ask because if you use what agway will probably recommend, wood shavings, whatever room you keep them in will be covered in dust by the time they are old enough to move outside. Just something to think about.

#8 Male ONLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 09:53 AM

Buy a heated water bucket if it will be outdoors and freeze.. I'm not sure a heat lamp will keep it from freezing unless it's in a confined area.
I don't heat my chickens, but I didn't raise them from chicks.. they were several weeks old when I got them
I have 6 chickens and get 6-7eggs a day (almost 1 yr old now )

I built them a 10x22ft run recently.. before that they ran free in my yard. They will destroy the lawn in a few months.

My coops is designed for up to 6 chickens, but it seems pretty tiny for 6.. if I didn't build a run i would only have 3 in there.

20170220_145726.jpg

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com
  • Like x 3
  • List

#9 Male ONLINE   DeplorableDan

DeplorableDan

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 10:08 AM

Where are you going to keep the chicks... in the house? What are you going to use for bedding? I ask because if you use what agway will probably recommend, wood shavings, whatever room you keep them in will be covered in dust by the time they are old enough to move outside. Just something to think about.

Agway recommends a pellet bedding, I didn't hear anything about wood shavings. They will be kept in the gun room under the brooder lamp. I'm not worried about the water freezing yet because these chicks will be indoors for a while, it will be warm by the time they go outside.

#10 Male OFFLINE   Bill from NJ

Bill from NJ

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 11:54 AM

DD,

Try looking around here:

Should answer some of your questions.

For type of chicken for eggs only, I recommend either Black or Red Stars.

They’re machines, absolutely fantastic.

https://www.mcmurray...k_selector.html

https://www.mcmurray...com/faqtop.html

http://blog.mcmurray...ising-chickens/

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

#11 Male OFFLINE   BCsaw

BCsaw

2017 NJW&W Rimfire KING!

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 12:00 PM

You will need 50+ lbs of starter feed.
Use the pine shavings under newspaper for easy weekly clean up. Pine shavings are in bagged/ baled form at $2-3 at Tractor Supply. The shavings make for convenient future deep bedding and ease of compost containment/ application.
A chick sized waterer and feeder tray will work for chicks.
They should not be outside with no feathers/down.
Get the silver work lamp with a clamp on it to monitor the brooder temps. A thermometer tells you when to raise or lower the lamp. A sunny location will increase these temps.
Be prepared for the feed/feather dust in the room.
The darker eggs taste best.
Good luck!
Birdman

Edited by BCsaw, 03/17/17 - 05:26 PM.

• Like x 1
  • List

#12 Male OFFLINE   newjerseyhunter

newjerseyhunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 01:39 PM

Agway recommends a pellet bedding, I didn't hear anything about wood shavings. They will be kept in the gun room under the brooder lamp. I'm not worried about the water freezing yet because these chicks will be indoors for a while, it will be warm by the time they go outside.

I would definitely not keep them in the gun room. The dust they create will get everywhere and I mean everywhere. If you do keep them in there you should get a zipwall type setup and seal them off some how. 

#13 Male OFFLINE   tick trawler

tick trawler

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 05:54 PM

The dust from the young birds won't hurt anything.  A bit more to clean up around the house isn't a big deal and the dust won't do anything to the firearms if they have a light coat of oil or Break Free CLP.  It may be worth looking into the immunological studies that have been done on farm families.  The dust from the animals will help to develop and strengthen a person's immune system over time. 

Get a big dog cage and line it on the sides with cardboard so they can't get out and line the bottom pan of the cage first with newspaper and then with pine shavings.  Keep it in the house but away from where you sleep, with a light bulb inside suspended to keep them warm.  Eventually, they will get too big for the cage this is why timing of bird purchase is important.  Heat lamps or incandescent light bulbs may be needed for a while once they are moved outside to your pest resistant facility.

If you want to free range your birds do it while you are home in the afternoons and be ready for pest trouble especially during April, May, and June.  It helps to have older birds around that are used to roaming as they will help to lead the others back to the coop or to other safe areas.  A rooster will watch over the flock spotting trouble but roosters are not as good watchmen as guineas.  Once you learn what the guinea hens chatter means, they will be telling you when predators are nearby, when they are near your flock, and the approximate direction of predator approach.  You will learn to read these signs and will prevail.

#14 Male OFFLINE   Buck154

Buck154

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 07:00 PM

Don't wait to long to build the outside coop. They grow fast. Talk with RGW he has had chickens for years and does good with them. Good egg layers and meat birds

#15 OFFLINE   Nomad

Nomad

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 03/17/17 - 08:24 PM

Have a "man party" at your house, provide free beer, and strangers from this site will come over and build your coop... :up:

• Like x 2
  • Agree x 2
  • Funny x 1
  • List

#16 Male OFFLINE   Stevo

Stevo

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03/18/17 - 03:24 AM

OK who's up for a Coop Building Party at DD's ?

The best thing is a bare floor. Scape all the poop into one spot then sweep it up. The thing you do not want in your Coop is moisture and poop is moist. A plywood floor works great. Scrape it up and clean it every 3 days or so. You want one Nest Box for every 4 Chickens. 12 Chickens 3 nest boxes. They will share. If you have the cash to lay out on material I will come help you build it. It's not hard. Only thing I need is Framing Nail Gun. I have all the others. (My son swiped mine).  Heres a materials list for a 4x4x8. 12 Chickens. I'm trying to do this without a pencil and paper

3sheets     1/2in Texture 111 Plywood

16        2x4x8 Doug Fir Studs

1     4x8  3/4in. Marine Grade Plywood  (floor)

2    26"x12' Suntuff Plastic Roof Panels w/ ridgecap

This will get it built and you can finish up the inside any way you want. We can build the Roof Panels in a frame to make them removable if you want to. It will make cleaning a lot easier. Just add some 1x2's for framing.

The Roof Panels come in a lot of colors. You want the sun to get in but not so much in the summer. I like the dark green myself. The Perches you need right away but the nest boxes can wait.

There is nothing better in this world than an Egg from a free range Chicken. If you lock them up every night the Fox won't get them. They will go in by themselves once they claim a Perch inside.

• Like x 3
  • Agree x 1
  • List
Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

#17 Male ONLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 03/18/17 - 09:16 AM

I have 4 nesting boxes, 6 chickens.. they all share 1 box lol.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com
  • Like x 1
  • List

#18 Male ONLINE   DeplorableDan

DeplorableDan

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 03/20/17 - 08:42 PM

Thanks so much for everyone's info. I got 10 chicks, some barred rocks, americaunas, delawares, gold sex links and Rhode Island's. We're getting a plan in motion now for a coop. I think we might build a 6x8 coop with a 6x12 run for a total of 6x20. I really like the suntuff roof panels, as long as it comes out cheaper than sheathing and shingles. We're gonna go big in case of future additions to the flock. And Stevo I really do appreciate the offer for the help, but between me, my dad who made a living as a rough framer, and my uncle who is also a home builder, and his 17 year old son, I think we can manage. If 4 grown men can't tackle a chicken coop then we have more issues than I thought....

Attached Images

• IMG_0648.JPG
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#19 Male OFFLINE   rgw

rgw

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 03/20/17 - 08:57 PM

nice, let the addiction begin

#20 Male OFFLINE   rgw

rgw

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 03/20/17 - 09:02 PM

the bottom pic the barred rock in the back i think is a male. i would have to see feet and wings to know for sure

Edited by rgw, 03/20/17 - 09:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users