IGNORED

Clamming who does it ?

1957Buck

Been doing it may years till they closed the areas I Clammed Then once it was reopened I have a Senior Lifetime Licence. and do a few trips to The Navesink and Shrewsbury. a few times beginning of the season and hopefully will get one day in this year before the season ends buddy been going those warms days that the tides were Low and limits out each time with a  150. Little necks he does not keep that many Chowders. But makes a Killer Manhattan Chowder. These clams are super sweet compared to store bought ones.

Last year I took my eldest Grandson who had a ball raking them. we do not do deep water just close to sand bars the areas we clam are Knee deep low tides to above water. He was 10 and I had to get him a Licence :eek:  It is closely Watched they keep a close watch all season and get many over the limit and without a License.  The look on their faces when they get a Ticket for each Clam over is to see. 

Are there any other Clammers on here.?

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Yes, I've done it a few times, but in much deeper water.  I would like to find some knee deep areas since I don't swim and trying to keep my head above water while digging them out with my hands is rather difficult.

Edited by Ms Grit

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

Seems many posters are claming in the warm months Where the areas I clam are only open from Nov. 1st to last day on April 30.I wear Waders as much thermal insulation as possible. use a home Made short handle Rake and dig in water from a few inches to above low tide water line In other words 1 1/2 hours before and after low hopefully no wind never in rain. I use a cement mixing tub from Lowes to transport all my gear and clams like a sled. Soin waist deep water me people use those long handle Clam rakes in waist deep water but not for me. 

Who is in Monmouth County say close to Rumson? 

Edited by 1957Buck

Yep. I did it commercially during the summers of college to earn extra money. Mostly treading in Ocean County waters. On good days I have pulled 1500 clams. I have done scratch raking also. This past summer I took my buddy out for a couple hours.

Very nice just enough for you and me  :rofl:  mine has to be Ice Cold Fresh homemade Horseradish Catsup with Lemon Please  :happywave:

I use to do it illegally down in the Gulf 30 years ago when I lived in Mobile, AL.. Digging for clams and oysters..  I didn't know at the time what I was doing was Illegal.. But once I found out I stopped..  My harvesting was kinda inadvertent anyway.. I mean, I was wading out in some shallow water to un snag my line while fishing for sheepheads when I stepped on some oysters.. I reached down and pulled some up.. Then I went on to find Clams.. After that I went out on a weekly basis and gathered all the oysters and clams I could eat over the weekend just by feeling around with my feet.. Did that until I got the news I could go to jail for what I was doing.. ( sigh ) ..

:D

Seems many posters are claming in the warm months Where the areas I clam are only open from Nov. 1st to last day on April 30.I wear Waders as much thermal insulation as possible. use a home Made short handle Rake and dig in water from a few inches to above low tide water line In other words 1 1/2 hours before and after low hopefully no wind never in rain. I use a cement mixing tub from Lowes to transport all my gear and clams like a sled. Soin waist deep water me people use those long handle Clam rakes in waist deep water but not for me. 

Who is in Monmouth County say close to Rumson? 

I'm in Cliffwood Beach, next to Keyport. Would like to give it a try

I'm in Cliffwood Beach, next to Keyport. Would like to give it a try

OK, now you need a Recreational Licence can get it online NJDFAG Waders insulated underwear. insulated rubber gloves Bag to put them in or tub if you plan to take 150 and a 4 prong hand rake.  A warm day and good low tide. between now and April 30 If still interested PM me. 

Do you striper fish the Jetties in Cliffwood?

I use to do it illegally down in the Gulf 30 years ago when I lived in Mobile, AL.. Digging for clams and oysters..  I didn't know at the time what I was doing was Illegal.. But once I found out I stopped..  My harvesting was kinda inadvertent anyway.. I mean, I was wading out in some shallow water to un snag my line while fishing for sheepheads when I stepped on some oysters.. I reached down and pulled some up.. Then I went on to find Clams.. After that I went out on a weekly basis and gathered all the oysters and clams I could eat over the weekend just by feeling around with my feet.. Did that until I got the news I could go to jail for what I was doing.. ( sigh ) ..

In Nj first offense is $1000 plus probable Jail second offense $2000 Probable jail time plus each clam fined separately.  Where I clam they get a bunch every year.