IGNORED

Fleshing knives

Okay so I learned that you can't go cheap with fleshing knives! I bought a cheap one that was on sale and it put more holes in the hide than a shotgun blast! I also couldn't get all the fat off the coon completely so I don't think it is going to turn out well. I guess I will add it to my collection...wasn't the best hide anyway. Any tips on fleshing? I purchased a necker knife and it should be here soon, threw the other one in the trash! I know to freeze coons to firm up the fat a bit but if you guys have any other tips would be helpful. When I go home I'll post a picture for a good laugh!

Edited by Oneday121o

dont throw the other one away, those cheapos are usually dull and good for mink fox etc. now on to your real problem, I doubt the knife was putting the holes in fur. its one of two things

A) the user not using it properly, example death grip on knife and pushing way to hard or

B) your not combing them first and getting all the dirt burs etc out. if you have anything in fur no matter how small you will put a hole or holes no matter which knife you use.

where do you live

Edited by rgw

dont throw the other one away, those cheapos are usually dull and good for mink fox etc. now on to your real problem, I doubt the knife was putting the holes in fur. its one of two things

A) the user not using it properly, example death grip on knife and pushing way to hard or

B) your not combing them first and getting all the dirt burs etc out. if you have anything in fur no matter how small you will put a hole or holes no matter which knife you use.

where do you live

Oldbridge in Central NJ. I checked it for burrs but didn't comb it. Trash got picked up today...lol

like rgw said. dull knives have their uses. that necked you bought acutally has a sharp side and a dull side. it takes practice. i have messed up a lot of pelts when i first started. you need to take your time and make sure that animal is clean before skinning.

as far as the custom beam you made, can you take a picture of it? this may be a problem as well.

where do you live

Oooooooo so that's why my Fox's neck looks like he was shot with buckshot ????...My first time fleshing and I definitely have a few hole but overall it didn't turn out too bad.

You need more curve with that beam. A dull knife will always cut and damage a pelt more than a sharp one. I used my old cheapy on my foxes just pushing. Fleshing is an acquired talent. You need to learn your knife, it's angles and your beam. By knowing your beam I mean knowing where you are on it and what type of motion you can do on that spot. You also need to know when and how to cut gristle based on the angles of your knife. I love my Necker 600 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Stretching boards are for stretching skins that are previously fleshed on a fleshing beam.

Fleshing beams usually have a curve to them, stretching boards I've never used, but I thought they were made of a wooden frame that was adjustable.. maybe they make them like you have, just 1 size fits all shaped for a coon..?

I use wire stretchers so I'm not up on my wooden stretcher knowledge.

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com