IGNORED

shotgun for older gentlemen?

mazzgolf

I, also, would suggest an 1100 in 20.

I bought one when my boys were very small ... a Youth LT-20 1100. I was looking for low recoil, and good target hitting performance. The 1100 20 with light loads does that very well. I would think those same features would serve an older gentleman well.

It is not a light gun. But, it will be shouldered only intermittently at the range. And, I don't think he will be chasing critters with the gun at ready with a flushing dog. Having a gun on a sling, then mounting it when the dog goes on point will likely be the case. Or, am I wrong about that?

I'm almost 60, with a badly busted-up spine. I see that little 1100 being the gun I round out my life with.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Edited by BothBarrels

Talking about Gauges 12-20-16-410 in any gun will do the job both Trap- Skeet - Hunting

My Browning Citori had all four Gauges The Gun was customized by Briley with Tubes, Cones, Trigger, Stock Compensator, and timed ejectors. When I started Pro. NJSSA it was with my ( 12 )1100 and then to The Browing with all the bells and whistles. Enclouding their custom gun case.  The investment back Then almost $3.000.00 Today  :eek: forget about it. 

I rarely used the 12 ga during a four gun shoot I would go down to the 20 with light English loads even English loads in 12.  My point is for all around I suggest 20 Ga-English loads.  since I have experience with the 4 gauges. as for the Gun only your Wallet dictates that.  

The old saying drive it before you buy it still stands. many Ranges offer rentals Garden State does. Shot Guns not so much. Go to a Trap and Skeet range look around ask questions some may even let you hold one.  Like I said, in the beginning, this is a loaded question opinion will run amuck.  

also, there are many big sporting goods stores to handle one just not Dicks got the time travel to Cabelas if it is that important. Good Luck 

Browning Citori CXT - 018074326.jpg

886.jpg

tubesetcategorylarge.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I bought my son a 1100 20 gauge youth model when he became of age and it is a sweet little gun. If your Pop is on the shorter side, you might want to consider looking into one. We put a sling on it. Bought a Hastings slug barrel for it, (I still carry it sometimes deer hunting, even though the stock is short). .....

After my boys grew a bit, I used a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad to bring the LOP out .... to make it easier for me to mount the gun. With light skeet loads, it's amazing how little felt recoil there is.

I also bought a Hastings barrel for it, but use Lightfield Hybrids.

I consider this little 1100 to be a sound investment. Look forward someday to having grandkids.

Get a Stoeger Condor O/U Field 20 gauge lists for $499. Send it out to Magna-Port for ported barrels and to be back bored.  It will come back the smoothest easiest shooting O/U ever for a decent price.  Done it a couple of times and anyone that shoots it can believe how it handles.

Edited by Tbill

Remington 1100 is a great gun.  I have a 12 ga and the recoil is light.  However, I wouldn't recommend it for a guy in his 70s who might want to carry it around for a couple of hours while small game hunting.  As Stevo said, you could always get a sling though.  If you want something lighter, check out the Stevens 555 O/U in 20 ga.  5.5 lbs and has a shell extractor, not ejector, like you're looking for.  Also, pretty affordable as far as O/U's go.  I have one of these as well and think its a great gun for the money.