IGNORED

shotgun for older gentlemen?

mazzgolf

As most of you know, I started hunting later in life. My dad's hobby of choice when I was growing up was golf on the weekends; he handed that down to me which I brought into adulthood (Unfortunately, since about 10 or so years ago, age and the bad back and joints that go along with that has stopped him from being able to go out golfing with me).

But since I started shooting and hunting, the script has flipped. Once I started showing how much fun I was having shooting handguns and long guns and going out hunting, he has now become interested. Over the past couple years, he got his FID, a 9mm pistol, and a .22 lr rifle for bench shooting, attended hunters ed and got his hunting license. Most recently, he picked up a .17 airgun and we've gone out squirrel hunting a couple times.

Just today he said he would like to look into getting a shotgun (we've gone trap shooting a few times and we enjoy that together - he wants his own gun for that).

So, yes, this is another "what's a good beginner's shotgun to buy" - but the beginner is in his mid-70s  :rofl:  He's shot both my Rem 870 and my semi-auto Beretta, so he knows the basics of shooting. But for a older guy with all the physical limitations that comes with that, is there something he should look for? I suggested looking at a SxS or O/U, that way you don't have to bend over to pick up the spent shells, but I am not sure if the recoil on those are more than, say, a standard semi-auto, and if that bothers a person's back.

Anyway, hopefully you see what I'm getting at. Suggestions for a particular model (or models) of shotgun for a guy in his 70s that basically just wants to go out and shoot trap every now and then, and maybe even go out with his son for perhaps some small game hunting??  :)

At 75 years old I can still handle my 1100 that is some 50 years old.  :up:

You ask a loaded question since opinions ill run amock.

Factors.

Being Money and what do you want to be handed down to you, 

My last years of Pro, Skeet shooting I used the 20Ga tubes in my Citori in the 12Ga events even reloaded lighter loads for the 20, My scores went up because of the less recoil. 

You mentioned an Over Under why not a 20 Ga one that would be my choice. Just remember the lighter the gun the more recoil I had a compensator installed in the Citori also another idea. Choke choice you have 2 options top and bottom Barrel I would make Bottom for Trap top Small game that is for single trigger selective triggers more money. 

Now open that wallet it is for Dad and for you later to bring memories,  ;)

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Love 'um or hate 'um, the Mossberg 500 20GA is an inexpensive gun that's pretty forgiving on recoil.  I am a proud owner of one, and I got it for my daughter to shoot (although I love shooting it too).

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Semi's, pumps and most SxS's and O/U's will eject the shells which you said he doesn't want to pick up.  

Thats great because we retrieve our shells and its a pain looking for and then picking them up.

There are SxS's (I have a couple that I use) and maybe some O/U's that have extractors not ejectors so that after firing you just lift the shell out.

And there is a company RST that makes shotgun shells that are very effective with low recoil for older guns but they work well in new guns also.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Semi's, pumps and most SxS's and O/U's will eject the shells which you said he doesn't want to pick up.  

Thats great because we retrieve our shells and its a pain looking for and then picking them up.

There are SxS's (I have a couple that I use) and maybe some O/U's that have extractors not ejectors so that after firing you just lift the shell out.

And there is a company RST that makes shotgun shells that are very effective with low recoil for older guns but they work well in new guns also.SXS 

SXS O/U when breaking the barrel one holds a hand over breach to catch ejected shells.  :nerd:

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

See if you can find a used browning recoiled trap gun it's a bolt action single shoot I have one that I bought 20 years ago.the recoil is reversed. It's a little getting use to no recoil but he'll be able to shoot all day

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If he is just planning on shooting trap, you could always buy low recoil trap loads. I buy them for my sons. They are usually in the 950-1050 fps range.

For reference my sons are small for their age (85 and 95 lbs) and shot 100 rounds each at fort dix a couple weeks ago. They both like the 12 gauge with low recoil loads better than shooting their 20 gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Devil Horns

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

See if you can find a used browning recoiled trap gun it's a bolt action single shoot I have one that I bought 20 years ago.the recoil is reversed. It's a little getting use to no recoil but he'll be able to shoot all day

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was going to post a similar thought, but I'll jump off MightyOak's post. I have a Browning BPS field model in 12 Ga, w' a30" barrel; it's made for trap shooting, but can flip from single shot to repeat mode with the flip of a switch. While not the lightest gun in the group, it has little to no recoil and has never given me a problem. This will be it's 40th year in action and i wouldn't trade it for any other gun. Am I biased, yes, but I wouldn't recommend something that I did not believe in.

OK I being old and sick am an expert on this subject so forget what everyone else has said and listen to me mazz. Get him something LIGHT. A shotgun with a sling. And nothing over 20ga. He will have no trouble carrying it, can sling it when not using it, and kick will be nothing.

My Gun is 5 1/4 lbs and that's with two Barrels. It is 16ga and I am working on a sling.

IMG_1836.JPG

Edited by Stevo

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

I bought my son a 1100 20 gauge youth model when he became of age and it is a sweet little gun. If your Pop is on the shorter side, you might want to consider looking into one. We put a sling on it. Bought a Hastings slug barrel for it, (I still carry it sometimes deer hunting, even though the stock is short). I think the barrel that came with it is 24", Rem chokes, it's a beautiful thing. I actually put TruGlo sights on it and it will shoot Remington Sluggers very adequately and doesn't do to badly shooting buckshot out to about 35 yards. It has a 2 3/4" chamber, but we've killed ducks and turkeys with it, just has to be in range. And there are "shell catchers" that are available, I don't know anything about them, but I'd assume they go on and off easily, put it on for clay shooting and you're good to go.

Edited by TDietz

without me, my rifle is nothing

I didn't read all the replies, so I apologize if I'm repeating what was already said..

Things to consider:

- 20ga kicks less than 12 GA

-when trap shooting. Ammo has much to do with kick. Get ammo with the least amount of drams for less kick, I usually buy 2 3/4 drams. Not 3+ big difference when shooting a lot of ammo)

-Semi auto absorbes some of the kick

-you can put a shell catcher on a gun to catch spent shells so they don't hit the ground, or the guy standing next to you, or his expensive gun )

-side by side- I'd personally never buy one

-over and under -great for shooting doubles or pairs/sporting clays but the gun is a little heavier due to having 2 full length barrels.

-they make pistons for the stocks that absorb the kick

-you can fill the stock with mercury to add weight to the back end to absorb the kick better

-don't buy a gun that is very light- it will kick harder

-longer barrel the better for trap shooting, shorter for skeet shooting. Sporting clays you can get away with any, but I like longer barrels.

I'd probably buy the Remington 1100 wingmaster trap gun. (I have the 870 version and use it to shoot and hunt.. I love the gun) I'm recommending the 1100 semi auto version to help reduce recoil. The gun has a Montecarlo stock and beautiful wood for a great price. It's a great all around gun that is built towards trap shooting. Throw a shell catcher on the receiver and shoot low dram ammo and he will be fine I'm sure.

Or go with the competition synthetic for the added adjustable comb and the piston in the shoulder pad to reduce recoil even more. (Trade the wood value for synthetic and extra comfort)

Screenshot_2017-03-04-08-59-50.pngScreenshot_2017-03-04-09-00-13.pngScreenshot_2017-03-04-09-04-20.png

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com