IGNORED

Where did our turkeys go?

DeplorableDan

I'm in SJ and haven't seen any turkeys, it made me question my tag choices. Last spring I got a gobbler in the first 10 minutes of legal shooting time on public land so far this year I haven't seen a single turkey turd. Hopefully they show up.

Well they were at my corn bait for winter bow in Burlington county. They are in the woods eating acorns and such probably. I like one area that no turkeys show up until second season week or later because the grass and bugs aren't there yet. Early season scouters think the place is dead. It's all about the timing. 

I walked right into a roost one early morning of permit bow a few months ago. Another time in the same place I had the whole flock come out and feed in a nearby field. One time in January while goose hunting at another place, about 10 hens came out in the corn field and started feeding about 75 yards from us. But that's only three times I saw them in the umpteen times I was out in these woods this season. I think they are there, they just don't want to be seen.

Of course, once turkey season comes, there ain't no way in hell I'll find the roost, or be set up next to the field where the entire flock wants to feed - that only happens when I am not hunting them.  :rant:

i dont agree with your last statement, i have personally seen fox wipe out a whole flock in no time, they would wait where they knew the birds flew down in the am and as soon as they hit the ground the fox would be on them and every day the first bird he would catch he would rip the wings off and let it go then go kill one, once he got the second bird he would go find and kill the first one, if i didnt whitness it i wouldnt of believed it.

Couple of years ago I came across two turkey carcasses in a roosting area. All that was left were the wings and the skin connecting them. I figured it was yotes. But maybe not. Edited by bill43