IGNORED

Spring Turkey Permit

Batsto

$21 dollars for 5 days of hunting at $4.20 a day with your choice of implement is pretty reasonable to me, especially if you use it. Not the best system, but probably not the worst either  

It isn't $21 for 5 days if a guy can only hunt Tuesdays. Which is what my comment was in reply to - cecil said he can only hunt Tuesdays and I was saying I hope he only hunts one zone because that's gonna add up if he wants to hunt more than one.

He has to buy 4 permits for A, B, C and D weeks to get his 5 Tuesdays in. If he wants to hunt in 2 zones that means he has to buy 8 permits.

That adds up - 21 dollars x 4 = $84 for 5 days in one zone, $168 for 5 days for two zones.

$168 to hunt 5 Tuesdays in two zones is expensive to me  :)

Granted, that probably only pays for two rounds of golf at a nice place, but golf being expensive is another issue :)

It isn't $21 for 5 days if a guy can only hunt Tuesdays. Which is what my comment was in reply to - cecil said he can only hunt Tuesdays and I was saying I hope he only hunts one zone because that's gonna add up if he wants to hunt more than one.

He has to buy 4 permits for A, B, C and D weeks to get his 5 Tuesdays in. If he wants to hunt in 2 zones that means he has to buy 8 permits.

That adds up - 21 dollars x 4 = $84 for 5 days in one zone, $168 for 5 days for two zones.

$168 to hunt 5 Tuesdays in two zones is expensive to me  :)

Granted, that probably only pays for two rounds of golf at a nice place, but golf being expensive is another issue :)

Buy one permit at a time and see if you fill a tag. Hunt NY then where you get two spring tags with your permit

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I'm just tired of NJ ripping us off. They don't care about the hunters, it's all about the money. I know in Pennsylvania you get a tag with your license, I wish NJ did this, But we know that would never happen. And I wish people would stop comparing other hobbies and their prices with hunting,it's apples to oranges, especially since so many claim that they have to hunt to put food on the table,I don't think this applies to golf or skiing.

Edited by DBuck

Here is my outlook on the permit system...

I love turkey hunting.

I am going to go every day.

If we were only allowed one, two or even three birds. Then I would be buying pa. And n.y. non resident licenses and permits ( like I use too when northern zones were hard to get).

So when you factor in those costs.... N.J. is a bargain

I can continue to hunt for 21.00 and still go to work that day and make money.

I've spent thousands of dollars on out of state deer hunts, just to sit in a tree, bored, and receive one adrenaline rush. Were as turkey hunting is hands on, interactive, and much more rewarding.

The lottery system also limits the amount of Hunter interference you experience.

Nj is the most densly populated state. If will had an 'open ' season, the woods could get pretty crowded on the first day and weekends.

I personally like the way it is. Actually saves me money.

Why March 6th? With technology it should be instantaneous and you cannot print out permit. Should be like a duck or pheasant stamp.

Basically because they have to process the application payments first, then run their drawings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't get some of these justifications for the outrageously expensive & ridiculous shell game the state inflicts on hunters.  There is absolutely no comparison to what we pay as residents of NJ versus what residents pay in NY & PA & most other states!!  It's not even remotely close.  Adding insult to injury, it is even less expensive & we have far more options to hunt as non-residents in our neighboring states of NY & NJ.  Of course, it's cheaper than a round of golf at Pebble Beach or helicopter skiing in Banff, but comparing hunting to those other hobbies??   If I charged you $40 for a hamburger, would you pay it because it's a lot cheaper than a steak dinner at Ruth Chris's???  WTF??  With that logic & no outcry to F&G, prepare to always have our sport held hostage by NJDFG....I wrote DFG about this a couple of years back & the biologist who replied was very nice & all but I still don't buy his justification of the prices & splitting of seasons that serve no valid management purpose...of course participation is dying, just look at the cost & complexity inflicted on us hunters.  Just because you can afford it doesn't make it right...rant over for now...

I always plan to hunt the entire NJ turkey season, which means I am shelling out $105 for at least 5 permits.  Like previously stated, if you have different properties in two different zones and want to take the same approach you are going to double that price, which I try to avoid doing.  If you hunted in zones that do not traditionally sell out than you can purchase OTC as the  season goes than it's good to go.  It gets a little frustrating though if you hunt, for example, zone 14, which still sells out very quickly despite permits being increased from 200 to 450/period.  It was long overdue to get that 200-450 increase which started last year in zone 14.  I also hunt in PA and like the freedom of their system, however unless you have buddies to take out and call for if needed, your season could be very short if you are lucky enough to kill your 2 birds quickly.

In NJ I would like to see less zones, Three 2-week periods including Saturdays, and maybe no more than one permit per zone per period.

And if nothing ever changes that's ok, it's well worth the money in my opinion to hunt the entire 5 weeks.  I feel bad for the guy who eats tag soup the first week and who can't afford to spend the money for additional tags - OR - can't get a B/C/D/E week tag because it's always sold out in his zone

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't work for the state!

Sorry Tarhunt....nothing against you or your reply. I think the state should step into a new phase of technology and make it convenient for all, especially the hunters that work all week. The price of the permit seems fair if you can make it the allotted times.