IGNORED

Say hi to Duke

Stevo

We figure Duke is part Pit Bull. My Daughter found him on a website and they were getting ready to euthanize him. At first we had no idea where he came from. Then things started happening that gave it away. When left at home alone he would rip things (his own) to shreds. They tried everything to get him to stop. One thing they tried was leaving the TV on. It had no effect on him until one day she came home to a perfectly clean house. Duke had been good. When looking at the TV she noticed the BET station was on (Black Entertainment Television).  Now if they go out they turn it to BET and Duke behaves LOL. Makes you wonder though huh?   

I applaud the effort to rescue him.  I am not as well intentioned as your daughter to rescue pits, I've had bad experiences with that breed but support others efforts to rehab the dogs and try to turn them around. There seems to be an awful lot of pits that need rescuing though.   Congrats to her. 

I applaud the effort to rescue him.  I am not as well intentioned as your daughter to rescue pits, I've had bad experiences with that breed but support others efforts to rehab the dogs and try to turn them around. There seems to be an awful lot of pits that need rescuing though.   Congrats to her. 

There is a ton of pit bulls in some shelters like the ASPCA in Philly is like 90% pit bull for adoption. I spoke to an animal behaviorist who assesses animals to give them clearance for adoption or if they need to be euthanized. She told me that there are so many pits that have been exposed to dog fighting and then bred over and over again is why you see more negative things happen with that breed. A lot of people unknowingly adopt or purchase a pit that was exposed to fighting or was bred by a fighting dog. Overall pits are a good breed and make great pets but the breed is also somewhat of a minefield due to their history. Especially in the inner cities. 

Stevo-- good luck to your daughter with Duke. She has a big heart like yourself.

Duke is all that and more. His tongue is split and missing a big chunk from fighting. He was a fighting Dog or a Drug House Dog, Or both. I told my daughter what she was getting into adopting him and she was OK with it. I guess he is about 4 years old. He is set in his ways and to change him now is almost impossible. Whatever Duke is he is. She will just have to live with some rules. Like owning any dangerous animal. As long as she abides by the rules Duke will have a good life with her. He seems very happy and gets along well with Sawyer the Beagle. Sawyer was actually a rescue too. He was rescued from one of those Beagle Testing Facilities. No telling what he was put through. They use the Beagles to test different medications and things like that. Most of them die but when they don't they are put up for adoption or put down. These two Dogs got lucky. They will have a happy life. Even if their are some restrictions like being around kids or other Dogs. As of right now the only thing that needs to fear Duke is Milk Bones. If I thought for one moment he was dangerous I would put a Bullet in him myself. As long as she sticks to the rules and Duke keeps behaving as he has everything is good.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

My family dog growing up was a rescued beagle we got him DNA tested he was pure breed 100% it's a damn shame I didn't hunt when I was little and neither did my father. Glad to see Duke is faring well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chasing the deer that eat your bushes since 2012