IGNORED

Crossing log set

Found this crossing log in the corner of an opening to a field next to the road. You can't beat it. I've hung cable there for two days and on day one I caught a fox and today I caught this boar coon. I gave this set a long lead so that they can get onto land and not fall in the water. Just curious how the pro trappers on here set crossing logs. Do you anchor to the log? How do you hang wire if no branches on the log? This one has a single branch which is a perfect funnel to channel them right into the snare. I'm going to hang a trail cam on this log tomorrow.

IMG_3287.JPG

i would of set the portion of the log on land with a short enough cable that he couldnt reach the water. eathier cable off to the tree or drive a rebar along side of it. as for support wire eathier push in a branch in the mud next to log or make support wire long enough to stick in ground. i would of never anchored that far out on log. if you can catch them out there you can get them 10' furthur where log is on land

i would of set the portion of the log on land with a short enough cable that he couldnt reach the water. eathier cable off to the tree or drive a rebar along side of it. as for support wire eathier push in a branch in the mud next to log or make support wire long enough to stick in ground. i would of never anchored that far out on log. if you can catch them out there you can get them 10' furthur where log is on land

great thanks for the input

I'm actually showing my house today to sell and I had the one coon out there drying behind my shed thinking no one will go back there...well they did and screamed bloody murder lol but then thought it was awesome. It was a funny conversation to have...

Edited by Oneday121o

I will take a piece of #11 wire and bend a 90 about 2" from the end a hammer that into the log on the side. Run the it up high as needed and cut off. Sometimes it it move you can cut a 2" piece and make a horseshoe nail and hammer that over the wire a inch or two from where the one part goes into the log.

I will take a piece of #11 wire and bend a 90 about 2" from the end a hammer that into the log on the side. Run the it up high as needed and cut off. Sometimes it it move you can cut a 2" piece and make a horseshoe nail and hammer that over the wire a inch or two from where the one part goes into the log.

that's a good idea. I was thinking of drilling a hole but I carry enough crap with me and don't need a 10 pound drill also. Definitely going to try that. Edited by Oneday121o

i normally cut a sapling and stick it in the mud. then support off that. 

i try to anchor off the log. then they wrap up away from the trail. 

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

I've had log crossings that have nothing to anchor to so I used eye bolts.  I also drill a hole near the eye bolt and put my support wire in the hole then do a couple wraps around the eye bolt for support and to keep the wire from spinning.  And yes it is a PITA to carry a drill, but you only have to do it once and it should last a while and is there when you need it.  The drill is also for starting the eye bolt.

415dBt2vorL.jpg

Carry a few electrical staples and staple the support wire to the side of the log. (Bend the wire and staple above and below the bend so the wire doesn't spin)

Or use fencing staples. You can buy a lifetime supply of like 400 1.5" staples for like $15

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

I give you trappers credit I could never kill that animal with a face like that. My wife ruined me with coons we had one coming to our house for 12 years. Yea my wife fead her Italian food from her restaurant and her 50 babies she had through the years. Congrats anyway. We raised 6 baby deer but can't stop me from killing deer.

IMG_4222.PNG

IMG_3643.JPG

IMG_4152.PNG

IMG_8157.PNG

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Anchor to the log with an extension cable and S hook. Two seconds and done. Wrap wire around the log to make support. Two seconds and done. Put one on each side of the log. Although all examples given were good suggestions, I like to move fast and hang as many loops as possible. I don't have have time to play. At the peak of season running I am running a lot of traps, and I mean a lot . I don't care about the mud and dirt, I wash all my coons. Watch your coons and foxes now, both have been bred and may look ratty 

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."