IGNORED

Towing capacities

hammer4reel

Been looking at some of the smaller Trucks , and sport utility . but want a tow package with it.

was surprised how low the towing capacities were on the Toyoto Tacomas.

and How high some of the Chevy,s were.

Even the Ridgeline has a higher tow rating, and their new  body style doesnt even look like a truck anymore

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Dan I am a Jeep GC man for years - always seems to be the perfect vehicle for all my needs. As for deer hunting- I would much rather lift a deer (or two) onto my cargo rack then into a pickup bed.   Here is some current information, even the new smaller Cherokee model can pull some weight..

The maximum weight a Jeep Cherokee can tow is 2,000 pounds. If a Jeep Cherokee is modified with a trailer tow package, it can tow up to 4,500 pounds. The Latitude, Limited and Trailhawk models of the Jeep Cherokee can be equipped with the trailer tow package. 

The Jeep Grand Cherokee model is able to tow more weight than the basic Cherokee. The Laredo, Limited, Overland and Summit fuel-saver models of the Jeep Grand Cherokee are able to tow 6,200 pounds. When equipped with a trailer tow package, the Limited, Overland and Summit models are able to tow up to 7,400 pounds. The EcoDiesel models of the Limited, Overland and Summit Grand Cherokees are able to tow up to 7,400 pounds.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

My pathfinder will tow 6k lbs. I think the new tacos tow about the same. The pathy is 266hp and 288 lb ft of torque. I've never had that vehicle on a dyno, but with a custom intake and exhaust and intake manifold, the torque has improved dramatically and the torque curve gives me immediate power at the low end.

The lower capacity has more to do with wheelbase than anything else. You cant load up 1000lbs tongue load a short wheelbase without doing wheelies. You can upgrade springs and use proper tires and maybe squeak another 1000lbs out of it, but at that point, you're really playing with fire.

Same goes for towing 7400lb in a grand cherokee. I'd be wary as hell with such a short wheelbase

We have a 3500 Dodge for pulling the bigger boat, as well as my 1500 for pulling other stuff.

IM looking to change my daily driver ( the one used to save gas) to something smaller, but want to still be able to at least tow 5000 with what ever I decide on.

was surprised that that some of the "tougher looking small trucks are just that, all smoke and mirrors.

Traceys Grand Cherokee with tow package was rated higher than most of the small trucks, with exception to the new Colorado.

I like the Jeep, just would hate throwing deer stands and stuff in the back of it.

and thought possibly a smaller truck as a daily driver could pull double duty, as I would rather a truck bed than dealing with stuff inside an SUV.

I dont need the bigger trucks for alot of use , such as running rods to the boat etc.

just looking for somethng more economical .

I like the 1500 Dodge diesels , but they are way over priced   .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Yeah, I think this is going to be a situation where you can't have your cake and eat it too. Tacoma or frontier will give you 6k towing and decent mpg for a daily (compared to what you're driving now.)

More towing capacity will give you less mpg. Something like a tundra or titan will bump that tow capacity up, but you'll be looking at losing a few mpgn in which case it's the same as driving your 1500 anyway. The new diesel titan is sweet, but pricy as hell too, just like those diesel 1500s.

I'd recommend a ford ecoboost or even an older chevy, but then you'd have to be stuck driving a ford or chevy (lol). No thanks.

Edited by not on the rug

Yeah, I think this is going to be a situation where you can't have your cake and eat it too. Tacoma or frontier will give you 6k towing and decent mpg for a daily (compared to what you're driving now.)

More towing capacity will give you less mpg. Something like a tundra or titan will bump that tow capacity up, but you'll be looking at losing a few mpgn in which case it's the same as driving your 1500 anyway. The new diesel titan is sweet, but pricy as hell too, just like those diesel 1500s.

I'd recommend a ford ecoboost or even an older chevy, but then you'd have to be stuck driving a ford or chevy (lol). No thanks.

Tacoma only tows 3500.

so it wouldnt even pull my little boat

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Tacoma only tows 3500.

so it wouldnt even pull my little boat

That is incorrect. Well, incorrect when you look at the Tacoma with the towing package (which I assume you would want since you plan on towing something of significance).

The Tacoma WITHOUT the towing package is 3500. But Tacoma with the v6 towing package is 6400.

See here: http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/features/towing

It is surprising how fast these new trucks rot away around here.  Calcium chloride doesn't discriminate between all the manly truck models, penetrating to the center of the steel and rotting its way back out.   Maybe better to permanently park the boats where they will be used or pay someone to tow the big boats. 

Edited by tick trawler

That is incorrect. Well, incorrect when you look at the Tacoma with the towing package (which I assume you would want since you plan on towing something of significance).

The Tacoma WITHOUT the towing package is 3500. But Tacoma with the v6 towing package is 6400.

See here: http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/features/towing

thanks for the info. guess the local dealer doesnt know his product very well, 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING