• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

squirrel hunting this morning - you can guess what I saw

7 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   mazzgolf

mazzgolf

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 02/17/17 - 10:49 AM

Decided to take my SG out for some squirrel hunting for a couple hours this morning - season's almost over, gotta get it in while I can.

Saw a squirrel 15 minutes before shooting time.  Didn't see another squirrel until 5 minutes before I had to leave. Squirrel was doing his best ninja moves in and out of bushes and trees - never gave me a shot.

Didn't see a squirrel between those times - but of course, I saw a train of 8 deer walk by single-file about 100 yards out.  :whatever:

Can't believe that large of a deer herd survived this month and a half of unlimited shotgun season, but they did. I think they stuck close to the houses that are nearby. Anyway, good sign for next fall at least.

• Like x 3
  • List

#2 Male OFFLINE   Oneday121o

Oneday121o

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 02/17/17 - 12:10 PM

They are all herded up right now so that 8 deer is probably all that is in the remote area. They travel together during winter months to reduce wasting energy. That's why t is always harder to hunt them in the winter because they aren't always split up, so you see a lot less.

#3 OFFLINE   number1goosehunter

number1goosehunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02/17/17 - 12:20 PM

Decided to take my SG out for some squirrel hunting for a couple hours this morning - season's almost over, gotta get it in while I can.

Saw a squirrel 15 minutes before shooting time.  Didn't see another squirrel until 5 minutes before I had to leave. Squirrel was doing his best ninja moves in and out of bushes and trees - never gave me a shot.

Didn't see a squirrel between those times - but of course, I saw a train of 8 deer walk by single-file about 100 yards out.  :whatever:

Can't believe that large of a deer herd survived this month and a half of unlimited shotgun season, but they did. I think they stuck close to the houses that are nearby. Anyway, good sign for next fall at least.

I cant believe there are that many deer left after 6 months of bow season

#4 OFFLINE   toxo

toxo

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02/17/17 - 12:23 PM

You see allot less in less you put out 100 lbs of bait.They are very easy to bait when there is snow on the ground for a few days. 

#5 Male OFFLINE   mightyhunter

mightyhunter

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 02/17/17 - 04:02 PM

Never fails! You want to see some deer, go small game hunting. LOL

#6 Male OFFLINE   deadonshot2

deadonshot2

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02/17/17 - 05:21 PM

Thats alright John, I was pred hunting a couple weeks ago in a closed deer zone and had a beautiful 10 pt walk to 15 yards before he saw me.

#7 Male OFFLINE   Roon

Roon

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02/17/17 - 06:15 PM

Lol that's why I shoot them off my bird feeder. Everytime I go in woods where I deer hunt I have the buck I have been chasing within 40 yards.
Plus on a positive I keep them from eating my peaches, my dog from barking at them and I get a pot of banging gumbo.

Attached Images

• 20170128_182012.jpg

Edited by Roon, 02/17/17 - 06:16 PM.

• Like x 1
  • List

#8 Male OFFLINE   rackemup

rackemup

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02/17/17 - 06:55 PM

Sounds like a good day in the woods even if there wasnt a harvest.

Lol that's why I shoot them off my bird feeder. Everytime I go in woods where I deer hunt I have the buck I have been chasing within 40 yards.
Plus on a positive I keep them from eating my peaches, my dog from barking at them and I get a pot of banging gumbo.

That looks delish!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users