IGNORED

Interested in moving to PA ( anyone help so some info)

NURSEhunter

I live in PA (the philly suburbs) but also have a place in Newfoundland (which is in the Poconos about 15 minutes south of lake wallenpaupak).  Here is some things to know:

1.  If you can pass a background check to buy a gun, you can get a license to carry.  It takes about 1 hour every 5 years to go to the local sheriff and do the background check.  

2.  There is no firearms permit to buy a gun.  Go into any store; any time; and pass a background check and you can buy a gun. 

3.  Suppressors and other class 3 items are legal.  You do need local PD to sign off on the ATF forms or go the trust route.  I've never run into a problem getting local PD to sign off.

4.  Townships can govern hunting on township land, but PGC rules have supremacy on private land.  So long as you follow safety zones, no local township can stop you from hunting your own land.  Just keep friendly relations with neighbors and you're fine.  

5.  Real estate taxes differ wildly from township to township.  School quality pretty much follows.  At my main house, I have 1 acre and pay over $10k per year in RE taxes.  In the Poconos, I have 40 acres and pay $2k.  

6.  State income tax is 3.07% flat.  Everyone pays the same %.  Most townships have an additional 1% earned income tax.  

7.  Hunting season is 1 buck per year.  Doesn't matter what weapon.  Most areas have 3 point on one side min.  You need to apply for Doe tags.  Pretty easy to get at least 1 for a resident.  Some regions you can get many more.  

8.  With a few minor exceptions:  No baiting and no sunday hunting (even on private land; except for a few species like crows and coyotes).  

9.  Except the 5 counties around Philly (and maybe Pitt), firearms season means you can use center-fire rifles.  In the 5 counties, it's shotgun and muzz onlyl.  

Edited by dlist777

Medical is fine where I am. Its another state not another country. You should narrow down some areas and take a drive around, maybe spend the weekend to see whats around. Its no different than moving from south jersey to central. If you prefer non english speaking doctors they are here also. The hospitals are building care centers all over that are staffed with real doctors that work in the hospital as well, no trinitas or swag urgent care where u get questionable service. Take a drive with your wife and just cruise around.

Do you really think the medical care is as good as it is in NJ?That is a big thing to think about as you get older.

Yes.

For instance the Lehigh Valley Hospital right over the border is fantastic, and has one of the best trauma centers in the region.  It's literally Level 1.  No idea where you're getting this perception that medical care is poor in Pennsy.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Did you get approval from your boyfriend first?

my boyfriend is moving to boston.. he's a liberal starbucks drinking mange coon catching trapper who can't handle coytoes so goes for 3 legged raccoons and mangy foxes... but i heard he got a manly friend " Ryan" .. he drives a truck and can move furniture all himself ;)