IGNORED

EDIT

looks like Lab dominates the mix - very cute and good luck!  Does she have webbed feet? If so - start introducing her to the water around 5 months or so take it slow and make it fun... Short retrieves, shallow water, working up to longer swims in deeper water.   Good chance she might have a nose for birds as well.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

training a lab to hunt upland is just a matter of walking them often off leash and making sure they range properly and obey your commands...  Start introducing to birds around 6-9 months, with low expectations. The more they experience - the better they get. When I first took "Mako" at 6 months, he flushed a few, retrieved better (or half retrieved) but he was more interested in finding dead birds than finding the live ones.  Now at age 2.5 - he is a complete hunting machine on steroids and he only goes 3 times a winter, on a 50 bird stock with several other labs. Out of 50 birds, he flushes 35of them and retrieves all his plus most of the others, plus when we are all done will go back through the fields on his own and still find dead birds the other dogs missed.  This past Saturday - we added 20 chukars to the mix, and he was a riot... Just loved it, and those little birds were going deep into blow-downs where no human would fit and he would root them out and flush them.

I am now ready to take him to WMAs next season, but probably only after the morning crowds, as I fear he will be retrieving everyone else's birds too as he is very quick to run toward the shots and if he sees a bird drop, he will be on it like stink on sh#t .  I am not sure how to train him to respect a pointing dog's point or to NOT go retrieve another dog or hunter's bird. I do know if I took him to a morning WMA stock in the state he is now, either he or I or both of us would probably get shot by angry hunters.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….