IGNORED

Running Tap Lines.

Roon

Yup tap not trap. That time of year again month of February usually a good standard for here. Last year was my 1st try, did good collected about 100 gallons and wound up with five quarts of syrup.

1st time round I reduced on my fire pit over open fire which added smoky flavor, not so good on pancakes, but I made quite a few batches of sweet and sweaty wings, which to I had no complaints from anyone.

Going to collect for week or so once I get around 20 gallons I will start the boiling process.

I will be reducing on a propane fire this year, and will hopefully wind up with enough to last till next February.

Fun hobby time in woods and cool to watch and see it all transform from water to rot your teeth goodness.

Could you use a plastic 1/2 " 90' elbow into the tree with clear tubing or does it have to be food grade plastic. Also, will copper elbows work as well. 

Could you use a plastic 1/2 " 90' elbow into the tree with clear tubing or does it have to be food grade plastic. Also, will copper elbows work as well.

Copper will kill the tree almost as fast as cutting it down will.

The lite color blue taps I have are called tree savers, older taps required a .50" hole in the tree, which took longer for the tree to heal.

The dark blue ones are stannard .25" plastic water line, you don't need to go big and deep to get sap. 5/16" or 1/4" and 1.5" deep all you need.

When I collect later I will take pic of real tap and 1/4" water pipe.

To see the difference of the two.

Edited by Roon

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

Last time I made it, I reduce it over a wood fire and got that same smoked taste you referred to.  About 3/4-gallon went out the kitchen window and I never made it again.  Second to last time I reduced over propane and finished on the stove in the kitchen.  Syrup came out great but I did steam the wallpaper off the bathroom walls.  My entire house was like a rain forest for a few hours and my wife was not happy.

Copper will kill the tree almost as fast as cutting it down will.

The lite color blue taps I have are called tree savers, older taps required a .50" hole in the tree, which took longer for the tree to heal.

The dark blue ones are stannard .25" plastic water line, you don't need to go big and deep to get sap. 5/16" or 1/4" and 1.5" deep all you need.

When I collect later I will take pic of real tap and 1/4" water pipe.

To see the difference of the two.

Great, I have 1/4 " plastic and lots of tubing so I'll give it a shot.  Thanks Roon.

I need to get in to doing this.  Seems like a fun thing to do and something that might interest my daughter as she gets a little older.  

How many gallons will a tree that size produce?  I have a ton of maples on my property that I could utilize 

I will only use real syrup.  None of that artificially colored and flavored corn syrup crap that people think is actually syrup.  That stuff disgusts me

what's flowing?

IPA kicked, so that needs to be replaced.  Porter will get tapped for the first time tonight as will a Black IPA.  The nutbrown is getting low, and there's an experimental beer in there that might end up as slug killer.

IPA and Bohemian Red Ale are in the fermenter.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Here's what I use. Small holes are better for the tree and produce just as much sap. 1/4" or 5/16" drilled 1.5" deep. Each tree varies on what it provides. Some I can get over a gallon a day out of others maybe a quart, don't know why, ballpark trees can produce 10 to 30 gallons each season, I think I remember reading. ANY MAPLE can be taped and will make maple syrup, only difference is sugar content.

Definitely a fun hobby and just nice to see it all transform.

Do a quick YouTube search tons of info out there, just watch few different ones read some of the comments cause some people making vids doing this don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, and following their lead will just kill you trees.

20170203_150237.jpg

20170203_150256.jpg

20170203_152034.jpg

20170203_151347.jpg

Edited by Roon

My goal was to reduce over propane this year, ain't gonna happen, think I maybe little more involved. Went through a 20lbs tank and only went for 25 gallons to 15.

So time to rethink I've been pulling around 15 gallons of maple sap a day and 5 gallons of blackwalnut sap also, stock pile building fast so some YouTube searching and now I'm building an evaporator.

My goal was free, had an old 55 gallon stove kit sitting out back for years and years, so no money there, I had a drum sitting around so again nothing cut and used what I could from original drum, however feel short need to drop $8 at tractor supply for a 6"×20" peice of sheet metal.

Anyways took advantage of Snow day cause come weekend I need to start seriously reducing some sap.

I will be putting atleast a 10' stack off the back which should make smoke flavor non existing.

Will keep posted with progress.

20170205_140321.jpg

20170208_163121.jpg

20170208_172555.jpg

20170208_173407.jpg

20170209_093659.jpg

20170209_110233.jpg

20170209_153718.jpg

Edited by Roon

My goal was to reduce over propane this year, ain't gonna happen, think I maybe little more involved. Went through a 20lbs tank and only went for 25 gallons to 15.

So time to rethink I've been pulling around 15 gallons of maple sap a day and 5 gallons of blackwalnut sap also, stock pile building fast so some YouTube searching and now I'm building an evaporator.

My goal was free, had an old 55 gallon stove kit sitting out back for years and years, so no money there, I had a drum sitting around so again nothing cut and used what I could from original drum, however feel short need to drop $8 at tractor supply for a 6"×20" peice of sheet metal.

Anyways took advantage of Snow day cause come weekend I need to start seriously reducing some sap.

I will be putting atleast a 10' stack off the back which should make smoke flavor non existing.

Will keep posted with progress.

Wow Roon, you have some amazing talent there with the welding, that project looks Class A.  Looks like something you could sell.

Huston we have a problem! Evaporator definitely making heat but loosing WAY TOO MUCH out the chimney. Tomorrow will be adding a dampner or shield of some sort to help maximize cooking.

FYI stack is 11' so some serious fire going on in there lol

20170210_175553.jpg

20170210_181555.jpg

Wow Roon, you have some amazing talent there with the welding, that project looks Class A.  Looks like something you could sell.

Thanks, but very rough, all done with Flux core so burns hot and not real nice. But all smoke going out stack away from syrup.