IGNORED

ideas for blind stakes?

mazzgolf

I had bought an Ameristep ground blind for a friend's property. It was out on the property for the last few months. I just brought it in a few days ago. Had I not tied it down to a shrub it was near, it would have blown away :) This last week's wind storm we had (which really wasn't bad - tops 20-25mph?) had blown it over. Happened another time about a month ago. I lost 4 of the cheap stakes they came with - no idea where they went after getting flung around in the wind.

What's an alternative folks use for a more heavy duty stake?? Those cheap ones that come with these blinds aren't very good in any amount of wind.

(BTW: I still call it a win because the blind wasn't stolen! First time I actually left something out in the woods (public or private) that I didn't have high up in a tree that wasn't stolen)

When the ground is frozen it's tough to get even the thin stakes that come with the blind in the ground. I have been using paracord to tie down my blinds down to trees from all 4 corners, with one attached to the roof pulling it upward. Our big blind has been up since mid August until next week without an issue. I also used a metal bar to prop up the roof to eliminate snow and ice from crushing it.

I've been dealing with my Ameristep ground blind since I put it up in August of last year. The wind seems to hammer it. I tried the factory stakes but, they were garbage. I ended up making my own out of 5/16th dia. rods. They are ok but, next year I'm going with heavier rods. Also, cabling it to a tree also helps.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Tie it down to something as well also, just in case plan A fails

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread - was out this morning in the wind and drizzle hoping for a turkey to waltz by on the field, but most of the time I was just busy trying to keep the blind from ripping out of the ground from the wind. Anything has to be better than those crappy pieces of metal (that I won't even call stakes) that come with the blinds.

I did some quick research and found these cool stakes. I bought a pack of 4 on EBay for $13 + free shipping. Looks like I bought the last one because that EBay listing is gone so I can't post a link, but if anyone is interested, here's a couple places you can get them for $13 or $14 (don't know if you get free shipping or not). A good price for what you get I think - from the looks of it, these are going to hold pretty good and with the "built-in handle" should be easy to twist into the ground.

http://groundauger.com/product/storm-anchor-tie-downs-4-pk/

http://www.essentialhardware.com/ground-auger-storm-anchor-gabt303-5322925.html

I use a blind for photography in my back yard and I secure it with rebar from home depot, I believe #3 which is .357" dia/. They sell it already cut. All you need to do is to bend a hook at one end and your bling will rip before the rebar is pulled. Rebar is deformed and therefore very difficult to pull out.   

This one is much bigger than you need but you get the picture:

Rebar2.jpg