IGNORED

A couple of misses over a tough weekend

Tough weekend trapping. I guess these new DPs I got aren't as good as the other ones I have because I had two escapes on the one, one escape on the other, and one barely caught. Usually the whole hand is in there. Maybe too much cat food in there? I got them from Amazon and they are Dukes...so I don't know. I also keep getting my snares pushed through (see picture below) any ideas on this? This happened to me like 5 times already. Are they jumping through? Should I be putting the branch underneath to get them to put their head up. This was a fox snare...8 inch wide and 9 inch off the ground. It was only hanging from 14 gauge wire that I stuck in the ground so it was very flexible. It was also baited at a distance in a clearing, not directly in front. Any ideas or suggestions?  I caught a bunch of rubbed out nasty pissed off coons this weekend!! They weren't fun to deal with and release!! Weekend total = 1 medium coon for the fur shed lol... trapping ain't easy

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

Edited by Rusty

Knocks downs are going to happen. Most of the time it is deer walking through or if flimsy wire it could be the wind. That is why you have to check and "tend" them daily. 8 inches off the ground for fox, and try a 9 gauge wire or cut a coat hanger. Both are much stiffer. I run Duke and Minnesota Brand DP's and like them both. Sometimes missing baits and empty trips are squirrels or rats, depending on where they are set

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

The last pic gives me a clue as to why you may be getting escapes in the dps,

Coons can pull out if they can grab something or get the trap wedged in brush or between trees.

To much bait can be a problem also.

Your support wire needs to be fairly stable, when a critter hits the cable the lock needs to slide closed without the slack giving the loop room to move ( not sure I explained that right)

The last pic gives me a clue as to why you may be getting escapes in the dps,

Coons can pull out if they can grab something or get the trap wedged in brush or between trees.

To much bait can be a problem also.

Your support wire needs to be fairly stable, when a critter hits the cable the lock needs to slide closed without the slack giving the loop room to move ( not sure I explained that right)

Yea, I was just thinking that also...I'll be sure to put them where they can't grab anything next time. Yea, I need to stiffen up my support.

Knocks downs are going to happen. Most of the time it is deer walking through or if flimsy wire it could be the wind. That is why you have to check and "tend" them daily. 8 inches off the ground for fox, and try a 9 gauge wire or cut a coat hanger. Both are much stiffer. I run Duke and Minnesota Brand DP's and like them both. Sometimes missing baits and empty trips are squirrels or rats, depending on where they are set

There was a catch circle, so I know it was something...maybe a possum but they usually don't fight much. Where do you get 9 gauge black wire from?

Glad to hear you guys releasing animals you wont use.  I know its not easy to do.  Respectable  hunters.

Yea the DP trap allows for an easy release with a coon as long as you have a catch pole. I keep the leads short, so I can get to them close. Releasing a coon from a cable restraint or a cage trap is too risky and I don't use them to catch coon because of that. The DP trap doesn't bother the coons much, they run away just fine.

Do you all just use the support wire or do you stick a branch in the ground and wraps the support wire around that to hang the snare?

Depends on the set location. Sometimes I use just the wire, sometimes I have tree or something else I can use

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Yea the DP trap allows for an easy release with a coon as long as you have a catch pole. I keep the leads short, so I can get to them close. Releasing a coon from a cable restraint or a cage trap is too risky and I don't use them to catch coon because of that. The DP trap doesn't bother the coons much, they run away just fine.

I haven't released a coon out of a DP with a catch pole yet