IGNORED

Unemployment SUCKS!!

GhostBear

...just furloughed ...

furloughed, laid off, canned, kicked to the curb, sent to the soup line, ... all the same thing...

I got laid off once.. And when they called me back to work I told them to go "F" themselves... Now that may not be a reasonable thing to do IF say your company paid you a good deal of money .. But in my case, as is the case with a number of some who get hired and laid off then hired then laid of, I was making minimum wage.. Why  the hell am I gonna wait around for a minimum wage job?.. why would anybody?.. IMO if the OP aint make'n bank with this company he should spend his off time looking for steady, year round, GOOD pay'n  work rather than be a company "holla back girl".. just say'n

:D

I still have a job!!! I'm a marine tech, I fix boats for a living. Was supposed to go back to work Monday, but last Monday I got a text saying the furlough is extended to February 6th, they love me at MarineMax Brick, and I like working there, everyone is great! And we all work well together, it's the first job in a long time where there is no friction with anyone. I'm very happy there, I just need to get closer! Lol

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Paul it goes with the territory. You have been doing this long enough to know you get furloughed every winter. You need to have a plan other than unemployment for your lay offs. Before we were invaded by illegals you could find a low paying off the books job easily. Between that and unemployment your bills would be paid. But since the invasion the work is not there. The owner of our Farm refuses to hire them. Guess who we get? College kids, p/t high school students, and guys that just plain want to work. The old "No one else will do that work" saying is just plain BS. We hire over 30 part time workers for the season every year. Not one illegal in the bunch.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

Join one of the services, Decent pay, three square meals and retirement after only 20 years. Even if you don't stay for 20 you will get veterans preference for other government jobs. Seasonal jobs that furlough are not the way to go.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Paul it goes with the territory. You have been doing this long enough to know you get furloughed every winter. You need to have a plan other than unemployment for your lay offs. Before we were invaded by illegals you could find a low paying off the books job easily. Between that and unemployment your bills would be paid. But since the invasion the work is not there. The owner of our Farm refuses to hire them. Guess who we get? College kids, p/t high school students, and guys that just plain want to work. The old "No one else will do that work" saying is just plain BS. We hire over 30 part time workers for the season every year. Not one illegal in the bunch.

This is partially true, there are less jobs. However, there are still plenty of jobs out there for people who really want to work, regardless of whether they are laid off or illegals. I've heard plenty of tails of woe from folks who "can't find a job". The one thing most of them have in common is that they are all lazy sacks who don't know what it means to really get out there and bust their ass looking for and keeping a job. Some of them can't swallow their pride and do a job they believe is "beneath" them.

I'm not saying this is the case with the OP but like you said, he knows this happens every winter (and we know it too because we read it every winter from his posts). He has many options, to name a few...

- move to a warm climate where he can work all year long

- come up with a side gig for the down time - so many options in this category it isn't even funny

- get a job more suited to our climate that offers 365 year work

...for whatever reason he doesn't seem to have explored these options - this is what I gather from reading this posts for several years now. Why he doesn't explore them is anyone's guess but posting on hunting forums certainly isn't doing him any good because he has gotten plenty of great advice over the years and hasn't taken heed. I believe he has actually gotten some work from the sites also which I guess is good but hasn't really helped his situation overall.

My furlough started off only being 4 weeks, then they moved it to 6, not a biggie, one place I worked at laid me off just before thanksgiving and called me back the last week of March. So more than a 3 month furlough, so yeah, I did find some supplemental work, this time not so much as I won't be off long enough, that is if they don't stretch it again! Lol but don't think they will, the work is there.

Now I do know this lay off comes every year, and moving to an area that's warmer, is not an option, believe it or not I looked into moving to a warmer climate, but the salary base is far and away less than here, and the cost of living is not that much better, in fact it's nearly the same in all categories save rents where I'll save about 400 a month, in those areas a tech is not in high demand as a result salaries are lower, with my experience I can expect about 11-13 and hour, on the bottom end its about half of what I get now, with a class A guy getting just over what I get here. And I looked into a transfer to the Clearwater Florida store and was told my salary would be adjusted to the local rate, that would mean nearly a 50% cut.

Believe me when I say that I have explored all the options. As far as getting into it as a side business, I'm on it and do ok, in fact I'll be advertising hard this year in hopes of building it up to somthing I can do full time but it is slow going at first, one or two jobs here and there isn't going to cut it. Lol

The job I have now is a good one, I have health insurance and a 401k, with a decent salary, my only real issue is my commute.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.