IGNORED

Ever Hunt Low Tree Stands?

buckfever1974

Reflecting back on a couple areas I hunted this past season and the past in general.  If you are hunting public land in most areas, the best bet is to either stay mobile, use natural ground blinds over pop ups when possible and leave a "small footprint".  The latter thought I learned the hard way.

Regardless, there is an area I am contiplating hunting next fall that is surrounded by mountain laurel bushes that come up over my 6 foot head at least and I would guess are as high as 7-9 feet give or take.  Someone had once built, probably illegally at the time, a wooden ladder stand that has seen better days.  Problem here is that its very visible in it's approximate location to a hiking trail.  Where the guy built it, he would have been right on top of the deer when they came out.  What I was thinking of doing is putting up one of those cheap "2 man" ladder stands that really only fit one but set it back from behind the wooden stand and the clearing and thus further away from the trail itself.  I believe that the laurel would come really close to being right under my feet at probably 10 foot or so but they aren't likely to see me with the cover until I can see them in the clearing.  

Have any of you done well out of the smaller ladder stands in decent cover like mountain laurel or a thicker swamp?  I'm a bigger guy so I may stand out a bit on smaller trees if big ones are not available but again, it's thicker cover that isn't going to lose it's foliage come the fall.

NJ Deer are now genetically pre-disposed to look up 12-25 feet as a way of life... Therefore, you should only set your stands about 6-10 feet.   They will never expect you there and look right over you.

Now that's funny. What is even funnier is I think I need to make an appointment at the eye doctor now......... :rofl:  :rofl: 

I've killed a lot of deer from a 10' ladder stand.  

On one of our spots we have a stand that's only 8' high and we kill a bunch of deer and never get detected.  

:agree: Killed my 6.5 year old buck from a hang on stand I placed next to an old permanent stand the property owner killed dozens of good bucks from back in the day.....

It was only 10 feet off the ground!

NJ Deer are now genetically pre-disposed to look up 12-25 feet as a way of life... Therefore, you should only set your stands about 6-10 feet.   They will never expect you there and look right over you.

That's why we hunt from the ground now.